Sunday, April 14, 2013

The FilmLife Festival Screening Night


Lastnight I went along to the Screening Night for the FilmLife Project at Footscray Community Arts Centre. It was my first big social outing since my transplant (very exciting)!

'The FilmLife Project provides an opportunity for new and budding filmmakers to submit a three minute film around organ and tissue donation, specifically to help raise awareness around ‘knowing your loved ones wishes’ in conjunction with DonateLife Week 2013'

This year Sydney and Melbourne both had screening nights, and we watched the short films in unison between each city.

With Carly Findlay (Blog Judge) and Dr Sally Cockburn (Film Judge and Melbourne Screening MC)

Once again this year, there was also a FilmLife Blogging Competition. I was supposed to be on the judging panel, but I suggested that I may need a backup just in case I received a call....

I must have had a sixth sense, because that call came, and thank goodness, Carly stepped in for me on the Blog judging panel.

Carly and Tash

The short films were brilliant. It was great to be able to find out more about the process of making them from the filmmakers themselves, and the facilitators who ran the workshops.

The Melbourne crew with the Sydney crew on screen

The winning film was Somebody That I'll Never Know produced by Brooke Huuskes.




You can watch all of the films here - and you can vote for your favourite to win the peoples choice award. Each film is less than than three minutes long.

 
The winning blog was One Life by Alysha Hermann.

The full list of blogs:

Patricia Scheetz – Wishing for one more chance 
Rosemary HughesYellow Eyes
Alysha HermannOne Life
Alison Austin – Donate Life
Lauren SherrittMake Your Wish Count
Deb RobertsonMake Your Wish Count (a chat about something that is difficult to talk about)
Beth GreenSeeing Organ and Tissue Donation in a different light
Paul McleanThe Twilight Zone
Gary from Being Gawee – DonateLife Week
Julie GreenOrgan Donation and the Dog: Starting the Conversation
Amanda SmythA letter to my babies about organ donation
Stacey McKee - Suddenly I see


 The winning filmmaker Brooke Huuskes will be on Dr Sally Cockburn's radio program on 3AW at 6.30 tonight, so listen in!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

Cam - that winning film is AMAZING! XX

Selina said...

OMG, that film actually made me cry! Am I just hormonal or did anyone else cry too??! Very well done and so deserving of the win.