Saturday, January 10, 2009

Love Fridays....on a Saturday

I got a little distracted yesterday and I missed Love Friday....

Here's my Love Friday Apricot Jam making session story.

I saw this beautiful large heavy bottomed saucepan at Vinnies on Thursday for $6.50. I picked it up, had a look at it (perfect condition), thought about it, reminded myself that I already have at least 5 saucepans, and I am supposed to be downsizing, and cooking for one, and I need to pack up all of my possessions........ so then I put it back on the shelf. I walked away, then came back for another look, paused... but ultimately decided to leave it behind..... and then left with 2 chairs instead (but that's another OCD story for another day)!

But then, my mum called me Thursday night to tell me that she was going to make apricot jam on Friday but she didn't have a large heavy bottom saucepan. You see, it was just like the saucepan was calling out for a new home. Mum popped down to Vinnies first thing yesterday morning and it was still there. The actual saucepan had a $6.50 label but the lid had a $5 label, so she ended up getting it for a fiver.

So I googled a recipe here, and mum made jam while I watched and drank cups of coffee.
I did actually contribute by writing the labels and tying a piece of raffia around the top to decorate the jars at the end. The jam was still cooling while I left so I'll have to pick myself up a finished jar later today.

10 comments:

Libby said...

You know I often do that except when I decide I really do want the item I've seen I go back to get it and it's gone!!!! Lucky you, I love your funky saucepan :-)

Kirsty said...

Perfect! Both the saucepan & your description of what sounds like a gorgeous afternoon.

Michelle said...

And it's ORANGE!!! Matches the apricots perfectly.

Unknown said...

I love the pot . I'll bet you get heaps of use from it .
Clare's Craftroom

Sarah said...

That's a lovely saucepan! They certainly don't make bright, colourful kitchenware like that anymore.

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

What a great story. I love that pot. If you ever see another one pick it up for me. I don't have a good heavy based saucepan.

Taccolina said...

Super-dooper seventies! I love that colour and the pattern on the side. Even better if it's heavy-bottomed.

How's the jam?

Megan.K. said...

Love the pot + story!

Anonymous said...

I can smell that jam, apricots are my fav and I love them stewed as well (hot or cold) with cream!!I am thinking of doing some tomato sauce making before I leave and some chutney. I have some pots but on the look out for a shallow wide bottom pan which is the best for jam making. Let me know if u see anything.

Drewzel said...

Serendipity. Go the orange saucepan!