Thursday, January 21, 2010

Moby and Friends



Every now and again, I buy myself a little handmade treat as a reward to myself for all my hard work. There are lots and lots of lovely bits and pieces that are on my 'to buy' list..... especially those things that I have no hope of ever trying to make myself.

After trying crochet on numerous occasions, I've realised that no matter how hard I try, my brain just does not get it, and so I found myself a new use for my crochet hooks - they make great little paint and glue stirrers.

Ever since I gave up on those unrealistic crochet dreams, I've been coveting one of Jess's gorgeous amigurumi bears to add to my collection of handmade goodies. I was going to wait until the next Northside Makers Market on February 6th (Jess is having a stall), but I'll be at the Daylesford Makers Market on the same day, so I asked her to pop Moby in the post instead.

Moby's not the quick bear off the rank or the brightest bulb in the box. He's often seen wandering along metres behind the other bears in his own little dream. He loves sniffing and smelling everything with his big nose, and to play the xylophone. When he feels moved to, he will also partake in a bit of experimental dance. He will eat anything with Potato in it, his favourite and staple food.

How could I resist a little bear with the same food issues as me?



Moby has made his way to his new home in the bookshelf. He's had a chance to meet all of his new friends, and so far, they all seem to be getting along swimmingly. I think he may be missing his xylophone though..... maybe I could make one out of paddle pop sticks and matches?

26 comments:

willywagtail said...

Moby is very cute. Must have a touch of the Irish to love anything with potato in it. Sounds a bit like my youngest there. But I cannot believe the sacrilege of using crochet hooks as paint stirrers!!!! Do you know how often those skinny little things disappear and people would just die to have them. In fact, I think they are even worse than quick unpicks for getting lost and here you are using the only ones still in circulation as paint stirrers. I've never been so shocked. LOL ;0

Becky said...

I am having the same issues with crotchet :(

I tried to make a granny square but ended up with a small tight tangle that I presented to the Mr as a token of my affection.

Maybe I need a Moby?

Kate said...

We had Jess's Moby post open for ages here the other day while Pepper talked to him and called out 'kyoot kyoot'! I think Jess is sooooo clever and I also think that Moby will be very happy with the gang at your house. I think crochet hooks are the best turning inside out tools.

PaisleyJade said...

He is so cute! That is something I'd like to try - nice to see my softie there too! (well, yours now).

Marita said...

Moby is very cute, love the little drawings with him. I am having one last go at crochet, but reckon I might need your tips for repurposing the crochet hook. I have a feeling crochet isn't my thing either.

sewfunky said...

Very, very adorable.

I can't crochet well, either - a granny square is my limit of ability. I wish my brain could "get it" but it just won't!

Little Waltz said...

Aw Moby is adorable! I love that he has a little story as well, but you are right. He does seem to be missing his Xylophone.

Would love to see how the Xylophone turns out!

Jodie said...

What a sweet collection of toys...Moby is delicious

sophie said...

I can't do crochet, it's too hard for me, I am so impatient, not a good student at all! I love Moby, he has a great name!

teddybearswednesday said...

Oh Cam, Look at Mobes, he's so happy!!! I think he is so beside himself with having found his true home and new mates, ( I think he and the kiwi are deep in discussion about potatoes and the letter C) that he's isn't missing his xylophone at all.
thanks for such a lovely post and giving me a good home. xo

Selina said...

what a lovely little shelf, it looks like a happy place
xx

Umatji said...

Ah, very cute and great use for crochet hooks! I sometimes have a similar issue - don't mind the odd beanie but more than that is just dreaming really./ Pity I entered a crochet exhibition (due in a month!) without reading that it was crochet not craft! Crazy - no panic here hey?!!

Tania - Jet Designs said...

I love it that Moby has his own little story - how adorable!

ambette said...

Oh Moby is sooooo cute! I have a friend having a baby later in the year who may be receiving one of them for her baby I think!

Sarah said...

He is very cute. I think he will be very happy with all those wonderful friends and potato : o )

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh he's even cuter now that he's so tiny, love Posie

Selina said...

sooo cute! Next crafty gift to myself is going to be one of Jess' bears too. I am finding it hard to pick one though, they are soo adorable!

Megan said...

he is adorable, and looks like he fits in with the gang spendidly. you definitely need to make him a present of a popstick xylophone. that way, when you're fast asleep the toy shelf can crank out some tunes and have a party

Copper Patch said...

He's awesome! I'm sure he'll have a long and happy life with his new friends.
Ab

Miss Prudence said...

he looks to be in good company!

Jessi said...

ohh snug's lil cousin looks right at home at your house!! :)

Cathie said...

ohh Moby looks like he is having so much fun with your other lil'friends.
the Curlypops mansion must be the best home ever for little ones :)
have a gopod friday Cam

Miss Muggins said...

Glad to see Moby has made some new friends. I wonder what mischief they get up to when you are not watching! I wonder which one is the ring leader - there is always one in a gang!

Anonymous said...

he is adorable I wonder what they all get up to once your are asleep

Holly said...

Oh how could you NOT scoop Moby up - he's just so gorgeous! Lucky you!

~Holly

Stacy Kraus McDonald said...

Oh Moby.... he probably is missing the xylophone. Good thing he has friends!