Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Creative Peeps Interview: Kylie from Chasing Purple Dreams

 
All photos and artworks remain property of Chasing Purple Dreams and have been used with permission

Name

Kylie Stevens, but I sign my artwork with “Kylie Marie”.  Marie is my middle name.  My high school art teacher wouldn’t let me sign with just my first name and I didn’t want to use my surname, so I chose to sign Kylie Marie.  I don’t like it as a “signature name”, but I feel with more than 13 years worth of paintings behind me I can’t change it now.

Blog

What is your favourite creative pursuit?
It so hard to choose one, I have so many creative obsessions!  I love to paint, especially in oils.  But if I had unlimited time, space and all the tools I desire, I would spend my days carving stone….I’ll get back into it one day, but for the last few years I have been on a self imposed ban from stone sculpture.  Without a dedicated space and pneumatic tools it is just impacts too much on my lifestyle and on my poor old hands.
 
What is your earliest creative memory?
I remember when I was eight, drawing a picture of some hills with the sun behind them, the kids at school thought it was great and I was hooked on the adrenalin rush of “art”.


Who inspires you?
Too many to name them all, I collect fine art books so I find a lot of inspiration in the lives and work of artists.  But to name a few of the favourites, William Robinson, Tim Storrier, Brett Whiteley, Margaret Olley, Van Gogh, Turner, Rodin…Ok I’ll stop now I could spend weeks listing favourites and go into detail about what in their work or lives inspires me, but you would all fall asleep! 
Just let me add, I met William Robinson, one of my artist hero’s.  I went up and gushed at him like a groupie, about how much I loved his work and how fabulous his retrospective exhibition was.  A very rock star moment for me! It still gives me a rush when I think about it. 


What are you currently working on?
I just finished the third painting in my “Adrift” series, it’s a big oil painting and I am absolutely thrilled with it.  I also have a small copper sculpture underway from the “Adrift” series.  I am experimenting with a verdigris finish on part of it and brainstorming ideas for the base. 


What is your ultimate creative dream?

It’s a big one….  I only just found the courage to voice it very recently.  I want to continue to grow and develop as and artist and one day see my works hanging in public collections.  The MMOA or the Tate would be good for a start!!! 


Is you work for sale, and if so, where can I buy it?

Yes a lot of my work is for sale.  I have an Etsy shop http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChasingPurpleDreams it’s a little neglected at the moment, but expect some changes there over the next few weeks…
I have made quite a few sales recently through my facebook fan page http://www.facebook.com/ChasingPurpleDreams people have just contacted me directly about pieces that I have posted there.  I am also happy for anyone to contact me about works they see on my blog.  Most of them are for sale and I have also taken commissions through my blog and facebook.  Locally I have some pieces on consignment at Handmade Heaven and Finicky Furniture.


Do you have any upcoming events planned (exhibitions, markets, interviews, courses etc)?

Nothing concrete at this stage, but plans are in the pipeline…I’m putting in an application for an exhibition this week, it will take a while to be processed but I have my fingers crossed.  There is also a new gallery opening in town and I anticipate exhibiting there in the future.



Do you have any advice for others who would like to follow their creative dream?

Do it! Start now, take that first baby step, it is what will set you on your way.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions Kylie. I always feel a renewal of my inspirations when I'm able to read interviews from other creative people who love what they do!

10 comments:

Chasing Purple Dreams said...

Thankyou Cam for including me in your creative peeps! It was so much fun answering your questions and I feel like a superstar now that I have been interviewed!!

Chasing Purple Dreams said...

I left a comment, but it seems to have disappeared into the ether…. I just wanted to say thanks for including me in your Creative Peeps. It was lots of fun to answer your questions; I shall just go and bask in my moment of fame now!

Chasing Purple Dreams said...

the first comment came back!!!!!

Anca Pandrea said...

Kylie is a great artist and I feel inspired by all her work and creative journeys. It's been a pleasure reading this interview.

Cathie said...

yay Kylie!!! loved the interview Cam, great to get to know Kylie a bit better ♥

angelina said...

kylie you totally deserve the spotlight, i think you are fantastic! xxx love, angelina

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

I really enjoy these creative peeps interviews. It was fun being interviewed and great to read about other people. I look forward to seeing who's next.

Interesting to learn more about Kyle, especially about her signature.

Irene MissyMinzy said...

you go girl, SuperStar Kylie! XX

Jennie said...

Great to read about others inspiration!
Love the interview with Kylie!

Cuggles! Kids said...

Great interview and great choice for your interviewee! Kylie is a dear friend of mine, so I can add that she really is this honest and passionate about everything she does. She is a generous, intelligent and very talented woman. I'm very proud to know her and call her friend. Thanks for beating the drum for her Ms CP, she doesn't do it enough for heself. : )