I should be having a nice relaxing holiday down on the beautiful Victorian Surf Coast. Instead, I'm at home, catching up on sleep, and using the little break to do some Summer sewing for myself.
For a while I've had a picture in my head of the perfect, no fuss, comfy summer dress. I haven't been able to find anything that suits, so I decided to go ahead and create my own.
I began with a Vintage Simplicity 5007 top pattern. I made a toile, tried it on, marked it with pen, and chopped and sewed until I ended up with a bodice that fitted my shoulders and bust nicely.
Then I rifled through all of my dress and skirt patterns, to find one that was sort-of the shape that I was looking for (Lisette Passport Dress). I made up the separate pattern pieces, omitted the pleats, and altered the shape and size to match up with my bodice. I also added in-seam side pockets.
Please excuse the stack of towels and the random dog tail hiding behind me. Just keeping it real.
I sewed everything together using the standard method - shoulder seams, side seams, match bodice to skirt.... and then came the invisible zip!
I invested in an invisible zip foot ages ago, and ever since, I've managed to crunch each and every invisible zip that I've tried to sew. But, a couple of moths ago, I went over to Anna'a studio and had a little invisible zip lesson.
Using the standard zip foot, I managed to sew this one without any swearing, unpicking or crunching. I'm taking that as a big win! I even managed to very nearly match up my seams perfectly.
I have hoards of op-shopped bias binding in the stash so that's what I used for the neckline, arm holes, and hem. Simple yet effective.
After finishing the dress, I was on a roll. I had a piece of beautiful Lisette Cotton Lawn which had been sitting on my cutting table, silently mocking me for two months.
I decided to make another Wiksten Tank, but this time I completely ignored the instructions and just sewed and overlocked the seams, and bound all the openings and hem with some more op-shopped bias binding.
I made the XL size again (as that was the size that I'd originally traced off), but I added an extra half inch to each of the side seam allowances to make it a litte bit tighter.
It's a really quick and easy, no fuss top to make, and really comfy to wear.
Now I just need to decide which one to wear today!