Saturday, June 21, 2008

Why it's a horse of course

I was reading this post on Pip's blog thismorning and it reminded me of my horsey days as a child........

So this is me and my little brother in about 1985 at a gymkhana somewhere in Western Victoria (we went to so many that I can't remember where this one was).

This was my horse, Valley Chloe (or just Chloe for short). My parents bought her for me when I was in about Grade 2 and I had her for 8 years. In that time, she had a foal that I named Malibu (are you feeling the 80's vibe yet)!

She was a beautiful horse.....we won lots of ribbons at shows and gymkhanas. We also took part in shetland harness racing in the 80's and we raced in an exhibition race at the Melbourne Show and also made it to the finals at Moonee Valley Harness Racing Track (but we didn't win).

Now I feel really old, it seems like sooooo long ago!

5 comments:

Marita said...

Sounds like the kind of childhood I longed for after reading those books, but I lived in surburbia and was slightly wary of horses and their big teeth.

Bird Bath said...

what a sweet photo and wonderful memories....

Michelle said...

What lovely memories, and such a sweet photo. Isn't Chloe a gorgous horse!

Stacey said...

I was a horsey girl too and used to do the show / gymkhana circuit.
Did yours bite? I remember shetlands being angry nasty little creatures.

Cate Lawrence said...

What an adorable photo! I loved horsey books as a small child!