Monday, April 23, 2012

A quilty replica


It's birthday season around these parts, so time to get cracking on some handmade gifts.

First up is a little dolly quilt / sleeping bag and matching pillow for Lily. I made one the same for her older sister many moons ago.


Every time I make something that even remotely resembles a quilt, I always joke about how you have to cut the fabric up into teeny little pieces just so you can sew it all back together again....... but seriously, I do love a simple patchwork quilt top!


Luckily Bec popped in for a visit just in time to do the heavy lifting (ie. retrieving the massively heavy snap press from the garage)

There are three snaps on each side to convert it into a sleeping bag.


I think dolly looks quite comfortable.


But, the proof is in the playing... and one of my little weekend visitors just couldn't resist!

8 comments:

embracingitall said...

Oh very cute! I love a patchwork quilt. I think dolly does too. Jacinta

delia hornbook said...

aahh your little quilt is lovely and it looks like it has been very well recieved ;-)) dee x

Michelle said...

So cute! Simple patterns are the most effective, and you have such a great eye for colour and fabric design that I'm not surprised your quilt looks like a long-time quilter made it!

Christina Lowry said...

Awww, very cute indeed. I think dolly and the quilt are both going to get a lot of love and attention.

I think the same about quilting, cutting up fabric to sew it back together. I've also heard that knitting is a just series of controlled knots. It doesn't stop me from loving either though. :)

annie said...

I haven't made a quilt since my twins were babies and they are 13 now. You inspire me to get cracking on some new quiltage! You make it look easy!

annie said...

I haven't made a quilt since my twins were babies and they are 13 now. You inspire me to get cracking on some new quiltage! You make it look easy!

rebekah @ justfordaisy said...

Sooooooo cute! i've been meaning to make a dolly quilt for sooo long! This could be the inspiration I needed! :) Awesome fabric colours too! :)

AMM said...

What a lovely quilt. Just the thing for a dolly for a chilly autumn.