Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Solomon Sewing Leave Your Hat On Challenge

 Beautiful fabric gifted from Liesl

I'm so glad that I signed up for Carmel's Leave Your Hat On challenge.


I've wanted to make a bucket style hat for years. In fact, I bought the You Sew Girl Kids Hats pattern at one of Nikki's Open Studio events in Brunswick about four years ago with the intention of making bucket hats for all of my nephews.

I wasn't a confident sewer back then, and I remember coming home, opening it up, getting stagefright and shoving it straight back in the plastic bag!

Sheesh! I don't know what I was thinking.... I managed to to whip this up in a few hours Sunday afternoon.

The trickiest bit is sewing the curves, but as long as you match up your marks/nicks (exactly like the instructions point out) then it all comes together perfectly.


My favourite part is all the stitching on the brim. You can add as little or as much as you like. I went to town and stitched and stitched and stitched.

You may have noticed from the pattern packaging that this is the Kids Hat.  I just happen to have a really small head for an adult, so the largest size in Kids fitted me, but there's also an Adults Sized version.

Now I just need a day at the beach so I can wear it!

4 comments:

Nikki said...

I'm SO GLAD that you revisited it and realised that it wasn't scary at all. It shows how far you've come with your sewing ability and confidence.

Jennie said...

Looks great Cam!
I'll have to measure my head and get a pattern.
(I never fit shop bought ones!)X

Naturally Carol said...

One fab hat!

Mistea said...

Gorgeous hat - perfect for a day at the beach next time the sun comes out.

Enjoy