Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Op Hopping Adventures of SupaSel and CurlyPops - Day 1



After all of the excitement this week, I hardly know where to begin!

I've been meaning to head down to Ballarat for an op shopping adventure for the longest time, but just never seemed to get around to it, so the summer holidays seemed like the perfect opportunity.

I was a little late arriving in Ballarat Monday morning due to misplacing my prescription sunnies. I couldn't possibly drive all that way without them... so after a 20 minute delay where I realised that I'd left them at my older sisters house, I was on my way....

I met up with SupaSel and we both decided that it was high time for a cuppa before we began our adventures. The Queen of Craft came to the rescue, and provided cups of tea, and muffins too (not baked in her oven). We even got to have a tour of the craft room, which is filled with the most amazing creations you've ever seen..... and we met Grocer too!

It's amazing how you can just pop around to a bloggers house and have a cuppa and feel completely at home..... just like you'd been friends for years, yet we only met last year.



After lots of chatting and laughing, it was time to make a move and begin the search for bargains. We visited around six oppies in Ballarat and a couple of second hand dealers too. My best find for the day was little zip lock bags with 5 rolls of Gutterman thread in each, for $1.99. Hence, I bought 4 bags full!



My next best find for the day was this spool holder for $6.... I'll eventually put it on the wall (these things take lots of time and pondering at my place).

By that time, it was getting close to closing time so we headed back to Clunes to plan our next days adventure.  Tune in tomorrow for the next installment!

PS - I forgot to give a huge thankyou to Jodie for yesterday!

18 comments:

Betty Jo said...

I spotted that spool holder!
I could have gone button crazy in that big junk emporium. Cheap too!

I Purr-Furr to Craft said...

Thanks for this post! You have done Just what i wanted to do, Go Op Hopping and meeting Jodie, Thanks for sharing your amazing finds with us.

Jennie said...

My jaw has dropped over the bags of Gutterman thread. As for the spool holder, I'm just going to have to ignore that to prevent myself bursting into flames.

Drewzel said...

Yay you! I am sooo gonna try and get my arse to Clunes and meet Sel this year ...sometime!

Beck said...

What a great day out Cam! I love the idea of a day devoted to op shopping and tea drinking, how civilised! That spool holder is amazing, it looks gorgeous, lucky you. Did you get to the Salvo's in Wendouree? That oppie always blows me away and I always find something. Next time you should try Maryborough as well, some ace oppies there xo

Margaret said...

I love the spool holder, I dream about one of these on my wall! What a great find! I love it!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a lovely day and you definitely found some treasures! xo m.

Cate Lawrence said...

awesome stuff! yay!

Unknown said...

Oh I want to come op shopping with you Cam! You find the best things! One day I must take a road trip down your way. That spool holder is just fabulous.
Sophie x

Sandi said...

What a great day out! Fab finds and tea with friends, what more could a girl want!

posie blogs Jennie McClelland said...

Oh why hello there, so where is your craft room so i can pinch your new cotton reels of colour & that wooden holder?? Just put them all on the holder so i can make it one quick trip, thanks, love Posie

Holly said...

A spool holder for $6?! I would have elbowed my own grandmother out of the way to get to that find! I never find anything good at the oppies... I think I must be arriving at them just after you've cleaned all the good stuff out :)

And isn't Jodie the best? I love our blogging community!

Holly

Jodie said...

hehe and thank you my dear for the text telling me about that thread. I admit to buying a few more than four.
The person serving me told me to buy as many as I wanted - they had more out the back...so I did !!!

You and sel are welcome to have cuppas at my place anytime ! and another dose of congratulations on the weekly times as well.... Go superpops!

Kirsty said...

What a gorgeous adventure you had Cam.

Looking forward to seeing that spool holder jam packed full of floss in upcoming posts.

Liesl said...

Looks like an excellent day all round. Think of how much you saved on the thread!!

Swirlyarts said...

Good finds - I love crafty finds :)

Corrie said...

ohhh you lucky girl you! look at that spool holder! nothing like that up my way!

Corrie:)

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

What a score with that thread and that spool holder!! I was just yesterday saying to hubby that I wanted a nice spool holder, something that I can put on the wall. You know I'm keeping my eyes out for a great find now :)