It's time for a totally non-crafty post today, unless you'd like to make your own perfect gift box (like mine above), because that bit actually is crafty.
I don't often share my very personal information with anyone, let alone the whole wide world via the internet, but here goes:
Today is the beginning of a brand new campaign named The Perfect Gift from the Australian Red Cross Blood Service.
You may have never have never needed their services before, but I have.
I have an autoimmune condition called panhypogammaglobulinemia.
It basically means that my blood all of a sudden decided to stop making its own antibodies to fight off bacteria and viruses. Instead, I have a three weekly infusion of a blood plasma product named Intragam. Each infusion is manufactured by CSL using a pool of blood donations from thousands of amazingly generous donors. It can take twelve whole blood donations or six plasma donations just to make one of my three weekly doses.
Since the year 2000 I've probably had about 150 infusions. If you do the math..... 150 infusions x 12 whole blood donations = 1800 donations just for me, so far.
This is the reason why I'm still here today, and it's something that I'll need for the rest of my life.
The holiday period of December and January can be the most critical time for blood stocks, as most of Australia goes on holiday.
The hard facts: (AUSTRALIA)
- Every donation can save three lives.
- Every donation is valuable because 1 in 3 Australians will need blood, yet only 1 in 30 donates.
- The need for blood is constant and all blood components have a limited shelf life, which is why donations are needed every day. Blood and blood treatments are delivered to hospitals around Australia 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – even on Christmas Day.
- Australia needs over 26,000 blood donations every week to save lives and to meet the need of patients.
- Donations made in December could help patients recover to be home for Christmas or the New Year.
Maybe you and your family would consider giving the perfect gift this christmas holiday period. It's as simple as making an appointment by calling 131495, or you can even book online.
I'd be eternally grateful....