Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Birthday Wrap


It's Nico's 3rd birthday today, so he's having a little BBQ and party..... and they've even decided to run the biggest horse race in the country on the same day to celebrate (maybe I should have used a horse print)!

I've made him this sweet little texta wrap....


With a velcro closure for little three year old fingers.

I decided late yesterday afternoon to make a couple of appliqued tees to go with the texta wrap, only to find that I've either completely run out of applifix, or I've just lost it amongst the mess (which could be entirely possible).


Desperate times called for desperate measures, so I came up with an alternative.

I used some medium light interfacing on the back of each fabric square, and then used basting spray to hold them in place on the tees while I stitched them down. I tried to do a close zig-zag stitch all the way around, but for some unknown reason, my machine just hates doing the zig-zag. Even though I use gutterman thread, it constantly breaks and jams up. Drives me nuts!


Anyhow, I did lots of extra stitching because I didn't have the applifix to secure it. Hopefully they'll wash and wear just as well as normal.... fingers crossed.



PS - Just a little end note: Lots of bloggy peeps seem to have changed their settings lately, which means that your blog can't be read in a reader such as Google Reader. No photos show up, just a few lines of text from the beginning of a post and that's all. Might be worth checking up on if you have - I'm missing out on reading lots of my faves at the moment.

12 comments:

Andi said...

Gorgeous gifts Cam ... as always!

Cathie said...

can you be my aunty Cam! awesome gifts, lucky boy.
hope he has a great birthday.

i noticed that, it is a little annoying in google reader & sometimes I don't even click on the blog if i am in a rush.

Kate said...

I think I might be partly responsible for the changing setting trend after some blogger expert type people told me that was the safest way to publish your blog and keep control of the content.
I have recently changed mine back because I had a few complaints from people who get my blog as an email who weren't getting anything more than the title.
On the other hand I always click into people's blogs because I think that it takes one second longer and that the layout is how the blogger intended it to be seen.

Sally said...

Yep... it is all Kate's fault that everyone changed their settings!!! Gotta laught :)

Love the applique T's and the texta wrap. I love the stritching in the simple squares - simple but fancy = totally awesome!

Unknown said...

What gorg presents...well done. Dee ;-)

Mrs A said...

Thank you for the link i will give it a go, love your work, its so cute!

Adriana said...

Great gifts - I love that car fabric!

Clare said...

Happy Birthday!
The shirts look great, and I love the wrap :)

Jennifer Rose said...

those are great gifts :D those shirts are so much better looking then the ones you buy at clothing stores

Brighton Breezy Sarah said...

that's so funny - I just took that brilliant cars fabric OUT of my monthly online order! - I try so hard to be sensible .. But it looks so fab! lol *goes off and buys some immediately*

Yes, I've noticed the lack of pics in my google reader

but I've also changed my settings ;) so I'll have to subscribe to myself and check it out!

word up

Kelly Casanova said...

Great gift ideas, the texta wrap is seriously cool!

Stomper Girl said...

Hmm, I think I need to investigate this applifix stuff...