Friday, November 12, 2010

The other half of the story


I almost forgot - I haven't told you the other half of the story
 
There was a very good reason that we used such bright colourful fabric for Nikki's new Shopping Bag Pattern test.




It was made to match this new bag!

This bag is for a family friend of one of my friends (who is an ex-work colleague). She recently moved into aged care (and you may remember that I was very generously gifted some beautiful supplies from her craft stash).

The blue handbag is one that she'd made for herself many moons ago, so the request was to make her a handbag in the exact same style, except larger, with longer handles, and using something very bright and colourful.

The shopping bag can be folded up and popped into the pocket so that she has it on hand when she goes shopping.


I didn't like the way that the handles had been attached on the original, so I wanted to come up with a better solution.

I managed to attach them twisted around not once, but twice, so there was a little unpicking here and there, but I like the way that I've managed to insert them in this way - something new to me!

She still had her Bulldogs membership attached to the old zip so I swapped it over....

I'm hoping to drop it off to my friend next week so that he can pass it on to her. It's a bit of a suprise so I really hope she likes it!

PS - My new floors for the dining room and craft space should be getting delivered today - yippee!

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Look at those improvements on the original design, would you? What a slick-looking bag!!! I'msure she'll LOVE it!

Andi said...

Beautifully done!!

Anna Bartlett said...

What a great idea - to make one the same-but-better! Good on you and the straps look much better. I've never been a fan of the X sewing.

Clare said...

What a lovely gesture! The bag is gorgeous.