Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Transplant Waiting List


So today is the official day.

31st August 2011 - the day that I join the active waiting list for a double lung transplant.

I was diagnosed with my lung disease nearly 22 years ago now, and around 10 years ago I was told that I would eventually need a lung transplant.

I guess that now is my eventually.

If you've never discussed organ donation with your family, then I hope that this post just might be a catalyst to sit down with your loved ones and have that discussion, and then join the official organ donor register via Medicare.


From the Donate Life website:

Organ & tissue donation facts

  • One organ and tissue donor can save the lives of up to ten people and significantly improve the lives of dozens more.
  • Australia has a world class reputation for successful transplant outcomes.
  •  Australia also has one of the lowest donation rates in the developed world. 
  • 98% of Australians agree that organ and tissue donation has the potential to save and improve lives.
  •  40% of Australians do not know the donation wishes of their loved ones. 
  • Less than 1 in 5 Australians (only 17%) have had a memorable discussion with their loved ones about their donation wishes.
  •  The most important thing that helps a family's decision is their knowing the wishes of their loved one. 
  • Australia's family consent rate is low with less than 60% of families giving consent for organ and tissue donation to proceed.
  •  Around 1700 people are on Australian organ transplant waiting lists at any one time. 
  • On average, people on the transplant list must wait between 6 months and 4 years.
  •  In 2010, 309 organ donors gave 931 Australians a new chance in life. 
  • The number of organ donations in 2010 was the highest in any year in the past decade.
  •  Australia's improvement in the first full year of reforms (increased by 2.5 donors per million people) compares favourably with that achieved following other countries' reforms. UK achieved an increase of 1.5 dpmp in its first full year of reforms; and Spain, descirbed as the world leader in this sector, also achieved an increase of 2.5 dpmp. 
  • In 2010, the Australian population had 13.8 donors per million people. This exceeds the 2008 (12.2 dpmp), 2009 (11.3 dpmp) and the 9 year baseline average (10.2 dpmp).
  •  Australia's rate of cornea donation puts it in the top five countries for corneal donation rates. 
  • In 2008, 1096 people donated their corneas. As a result, 1696 people had their sight restored.

If you would like to learn more, please visit the Donate Life website.... and keep your fingers crossed for me!

40 comments:

Christie said...

My fingers are crossed for you, I hope your turn comes around quickly. My hubby and I know each others wishes to donate, but we haven't joined the official register. Off to do that now.

yardage girl said...

Thinking of you Cam - may your turn be amazing.

trudi@maudeandme said...

A new chapter... How does the waiting list work? Can it happen any day now, or can they give you an estimate -for example at least a year wait because of other people before you?

Nikki said...

Thinking all good things for you Cam!! Do drop in for that cuppa today, if you get the chance.

Tania said...

Cam, you're a star with a great big heart. May this be the first step for a new beginning. x

Miss Prudence said...

Knowing what I know of you - I imagine this won't be an easy moment for you: full of hope and compassion (for dining family) fear of not knowing etc...Cam I wish you the best of everything and that includes all things in the future. You are such a beautiful person xxxxx Until the day arrives, live in the moment , love in the moment and of course craft and eat cake in the moment
xxxx

Unknown said...

Good luck, Cam. I hope you get your transplant in good time and that it all goes smoothly.

Anna Bartlett said...

It's something I've heard so much about over the years, but I have never actually known someone who was 'On The List'. I'm glad you are on it, my friend.

Lisa said...

Let's all hope that your time on the list is short, and a super fast recovery.

Sally said...

Good luck Cam. I'm already on the transplant list and the family is all aware that I'd like to donate if the time ever came... but... I don't think you'd want my lungs after I used and abused them with various substances in my youth.

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Here's to the future Cam & giant leaps forward. Thinking of you. xxx

Copper Patch said...

The ultimate list to get your name upon. I hope you get to call Bingo soon Cam.
On my drivers licence my tick for organ donation has two little dots above it so it came out looking like a smile which has always made me smile.
My family knows to 'farm em out' should I die, much better than wasting all those goodies!!!
Ab xx

Makeminemidcentury said...

Brilliant post, Cam!

Let's get these two new air-conditioners for you!

Am going on the Organ Donor site now.

TheThingsIdTellYou said...

You're the second person I 'know' that's on a waiting list. My thoughts will be with you.

This could well be me one day, as a decades long Type 2 diabetic who has deteriorated to now being insulin dependant, I realise my kidneys may not hold out forever.

I have shared this on my FB page, my blog's FB page and will tweet. DO you mind if I share it on my blog? I think this is a conversation a LOT more people need to be having.

Best of luck to you (From a complete stranger).

Cass said...

i have everything crossed for you Cam

Anonymous said...

beautiful post. wishing you to hear some good news soon. my uncle endured a heart transplant nearly 11 years ago now, and is still alive and well . although,,, when he came out, he immediately wanted hot and spicy foods ( which was totally different ) so he is convinced he got a heart from a hispanic person. xxx

manda said...

Oh Cam, you know we'll be with you through everything! I'd give you my lungs if I could. And my parents and I are on the donor list!!
I'll be thinking of you!

Lyndel said...

Cam I wish you good days until your number is called, and lots and lots of crossed fingers that all goes well, when your transplant finally arives♥

Ulla said...

I have been carrying an organ donor card for 20 years at least. There are plans of changing the law to make everyone a possible donor unless the person specifically refuses and carries a card expressing that wish. Thinking the other way around.
Best luck for you, may your perfect tissue match be on a very short waiting list.

Libster said...

excellent news as such, I hope that you dont have to wait too long for your new set of lungs and that when it happens it goes well. My hubby and I are on the list and even my daughters who are young teens want to donate... I dont understand why people dont want to help another person with such a special gift.. bit like donating blood!

Swirlyarts said...

Fingers and toes crossed for you. Matt and I are both on the organ donation register here - I will give any part of my body and he will too apart from his eyes :)

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

I hope you don't have to wait too long Cam. xox Cat

Merry-Go-Round Handmade said...

Whoa... What a shock, not quite the usual post I expected from you.
It still must be a shock to you and you family/close friends, etc.
I'm truly sorry to hear that news & hope its a very short wait you - you never know what is around the corner.
Stay Positive....
Best Wishes,
Nicole

Selina said...

I wish all the very best for the journey ahead Cam :)

xx

thornberry said...

Oh my goodness Cam. My fingers, toes, arms and legs are all crossed for you. I hope that the wait isn't too long. Take care!

PaisleyJade said...

Wow - I hope some amazing lungs come available for you (or yours get miraculously healed before then). I am so totally for organ donation - it's nice to know that there is someone out there who has benefited from my aunts corneas. One of the positive things that can come out of a tragic loss. xoxo

Marg said...

Good luck and I have everything crossed for a quick and fantastic result.
I've been on the organ donor register for a long time.

Mon Alisa Design said...

Oh Cam, I'm praying for you sweets xxx

Megan.K. said...

I'm so glad you made it onto the list Cam. Fingers and toes crossed for your turn to come soon.
xo

Cate said...

'Memorable discussion' heh? How about all in brawl?!! (I'm a yay, he's a nay).
Big day for you - is congrats the right thing to say? I'm not sure. Do hallmark make a "so I hear you're on the double-lung transplant list" card?
Fingers crossed none the less :-)
xxxCate

Michelle said...

I made it all official a couple of years ago thanks to one of your posts. And soon, thanks to my constant nagging, Scott will be a blood donor.

Let's hope your wait is a very short one!

Cath @ chunkychooky said...

good on you Cam, that is big news. I have long been a organ donater and continue to encourage others to so the same.

Keely aka The Richest Girl in Bondi said...

Great news! I hope it's a short wait for you. Totally agree that people need to discuss their wishes with their fam - because that's who it all comes down to when the decision needs to be made.

Jan said...

Fingers croosed that your perfect match isn't far away, Cam. My husband and I are both on the donor register and it's a good feeling to know that our useful bits can be recycled. Best wishes.

Naturally Carol said...

Hi Cam..sorry my computer's been on the blink! I hope you get your new set of lungs v. soon!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! First step in the right direction.

michelle said...

positive thoughts from far flung distances cam. this is a great post. a world of information. stay well

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Wishing you all the best Cam!

Cherie said...

Everything cossed for you and loads of positivness too that it all happens super fast Darling Cam. You're one amazing, gorgeous girl :~) Hope everyone who stops by here get on the donor list, I'm there. Huge Hugs. xoxo

Christy Amular said...

Good luck Cam! Hope you don't have too wait too long. Stay healthy!