Friday, September 9, 2011

Be Still My Beating Cheating Heart Skirt

Panel is off centre on purpose (just in case you were wondering)

I know I promised some behind the scenes printing photos today, but I just can't resist showing you the skirt that I whipped up yesterday!

It's a total Cheaty McCheaterson skirt which was really easy to make.

Of course, I must preface this by warning you that I assumed that this would be less time consuming than making a skirt from scratch. Ha! I was completely wrong.

Also, if you really really don't like unpicking, then this is most definitely NOT the project for you.


I'm kicking myself that I didn't take a before photo, but this was originally a plain corduroy skirt that I bought from the oppy well over a year ago. It was on the $1 rack as it was missing a button at the back, and at that stage it wasn't my size, but I bought it just for the fabric.

Fast forward a year and add a few kilos and voila - it fits!

It was soooo plain, and it had no pockets, so it was never ever going to be worn.... until now.


I unpicked the bottom hem, side seams and the facing, and separated the back and front halves. I then cut a section out of the front half and inserted a lovely panel of my Go Granny fabric

I then added the pocket pieces to the both halves of the skirt and sewed all the pieces back together again.


I even worked out how to top-stitch the pockets this time so that they sit nicely (happy dance).

I'm just wishing that I could wear it today... but it's not really appropriate for the gym. Maybe tomorrow!

13 comments:

Andi said...

You wont be at the gym all day will you?
Pop it on when you get home as a treat!!
xx

Cathie said...

nice one Cam! love that panel & those cheeky peekaboo pockets!

and you are going to the gym, yay!
now to get myself motivated...pffff

happy day lovely lady ♥

Naturally Carol said...

Lovely pockets! Nifty skirt! Have a great weekend, Cam.

Margaret said...

Looking good!

Lyndel said...

lovely. and with the variety of colours in the new fabric, you can mix with so many! yay. have a wonderful weekend.

KH said...

Ohhh...love the granny square fabric! Well done on the skirt, the pockets are really sweet.

Miss Amy said...

Ooo I really like it! I love your pockets too. I made a pair of a well worn and sewn pants pattern here and added a pocket which is sitting wrong, I might unpick and try again tomorrow when I have a day off. you have given be a bit of inspiration... :)

~ Kim ~ said...

Looks awesome. Well done.

Deanne said...

i am totally loving this fabric :) x

Unknown said...

Its gorgeous, what a transformation (even though there isn't the before photo, we can imagine!) I'd wear this all the time!

Anna Bartlett said...

Now that is seriously cool. You'll be wearing it tomorrow, I hope! I am trying to make something for me to wear (from my own fabric) to my opening on Sunday - but I think I'm being a bit over zealous. Now I'm thinking maybe I can just add to something I already have... off to the wardrobe...

Michelle said...

Aren't I the lucky one to have seen this amazing skirt in person!!!

Mistea said...

Great makeover - skirt sure has a whole new personality now.
Enjoy wearing it when the sun comes out.