Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Call for Help - EDITED

Sorry for the unscheduled break in Crafty transmissions, but I just arrived home from the Hello Etsy event that was on tonight to find the following email in my inbox from the Heart and Lung Transplant Trust (Victoria) Inc

Page Link


The Age newspaper reported on 17 September that The Alfred is considering restricting the number of lung transplants it performs due to budgetary constraints. 


If there is one issue our Trust should take a stand on it is this one.
As we all know, transplant is lifesaving surgery and the suggested reduction in the lung transplant program will mean likely premature death for some of those on the waiting list.  In addition, it will also have an adverse impact on donor rates which defeats the purpose of recent government expenditure and advertising that has gone into this great initiative.

The Trust is deeply disturbed by this report and is considering how best to address the issue with The Alfred and various government stakeholders. 

The Committee urges all members to take up this fight with their State government representative. 

We would also encourage letters be sent to the following recipients:

Minister for Health
The Hon. David Davis, MLC
GPO Box 4057
Melbourne
Victoria 3001
david.davis@parliament.vic.gov.au
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Premier of Victoria
The Hon. Ted Baillieu, MP
Office of the Premier
1 Treasury Place
GPO Box 4912V V
Melbourne
Victoria 3002
ted.baillieu@parliament.vic.gov.au
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Andrew Way - Chief Executive
The Alfred
P.O Box 315
Prahran
Victoria 3181
Andrew.Way@alfred.org.au
 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it
Members may wish to use the following wording to help their drafting.

Can you spare 15 minutes for me.... please? My life depends on it. 

EDITED: - I've created my own versions of the protest letters to make them much easier to copy and paste


Alfred (feel free to delete the HLTTV member details first)

30 comments:

yardage girl said...

Will do Cam. Will spread the word too. Thanks for keeping us informed. Nic x

Michelle said...

Yes, same here. Will absolutely do. Dreadful news...

Christy Amular said...

Gosh, I hope they reverse this decision. This is dreadful news!

Anna Bartlett said...

Will do. Bloody amazing.

Cherie said...

Will do too Cam, appalling!

Cherie said...

Darling Cam have emailed the letters plus done a post on my Facebook asking people to send emails etc ...
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=719392447

Please let's know what else people can do to assist this erasing this bureacratic stupidity.
Stay Strong Darlingheart ♥

carla said...

Done, Cam. I'm an Argentinean living in the States (so I hope my protest is heard) who always reads but never comments. Keep us posted, please.

carla said...

I meant "I hope my protest is also heard, even though I don't live in Australia" kind of thing :)

Andi said...

3 emails sent!!
xxx

Leonie @ Cuppa and Cake said...

Done x

Anonymous said...

Thats so sad to hear and yet billions of government $$ are spent on unnessassary things like submarines http://www.theage.com.au/national/new-submarine-fleet-to-cost-36-billion-20091029-hnp6.html and our health system goes down the toilet. Emails sent!!

Finki said...

Done. 3 emails sent. Hope they receive a zillion emails today, so it makes them bloody listen.
xx

Naturally Carol said...

Hi Cam..I've just downloaded your letters and will send them off today. We'll do our best to get your lungs! Hang in there!

gemma @ loz and dinny said...

Getting onto this now, lovely ... will scream my lungs out (so to speak)

gemma @ loz and dinny said...

all done xxx

Miss G said...

Done! just wandering up to the post box now!
x G

Jennie said...

Thanks for writing those sample letters for us. I had a look at the ones the organisation had provided and was a bit overwhelmed by how to personalise them. But now I can send off a whole batch easily. Thankyou for helping us help you.

Drewzel said...

Done. xx

Christina Lowry said...

Three emails sent and the link shared on my facebook. Fingers crossed.

L said...

Very shocked to read the article in The Age today, and I thought of you and immediately headed to your blog. So glad to see that you are pointing us in the right direction to help. I can't imagine how furious you feel. Well, I sort of can, as my baby daughter had a liver transplant in 2004 and if they had done this to the liver transplantation program, I'd have been doing exactly what you're doing. You will have many people standing shoulder to shoulder with you, Cam. Australians overwhelmingly support organ donation. <3

teddybearswednesday said...

done xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

will do Cam, this is appalling

Anonymous said...

This is terrible. :( I found your page after a friend shared your link with me. I have sent 3 emails tonight. All the best as you fight a big fight for life.

Unknown said...

All done ! I have sent links to all my family and I have a BIG family .

rachelmp said...

Thanks for the sample letters. I'll send off the emails tomorrow. All the best Rachel

Tas said...

Done, Cam. The least that I can do.

Sarah said...

DONE and sent.

Icon on blog and let me know if there is anything else...

Thea said...

Unbelievable that a government would even consider such action! You've made it too easy for us to help. I have emailed all 3 too. Fingers crossed that our voices will be heard. xx

Lantern Printing said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Cam,

I have sent a letter of protest! Two very dear people close to my heart have been long term Alfred lung recipient/patients. One sadly no longer with us, the other is my mum. I am thinking of you. Madeleine xo