Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Tutorial - How to make a Chefs Hat for your budding Masterchef


I've made three Chefs / Bakers hats as gifts so far, and the kiddies seem to love them, so I thought I'd share my technique so that everyone else can join in the fun. It's a quick and easy project that you should be able to whip up in less than 1.5 hours.

Today I'm making a hat for my 10 year old nephew, so I've chosen fabrics that he likes (not necessarily what I like).

There are three different sections of the hat - Puffy Top, Headband, and Binding.

Lets begin with a list of things that you will need:
  • Three fabrics (you won't need much so you can probably rummage through your scraps)
  • Iron on interfacing for the headband
  • For the closure - Snaps or Velcro or Ribbon or Buttons
  • Sewing supplies - sewing machine, tape measure, fabric marker, rotary cutter, mat etc.
It's probably best to read through the tutorial and work out the measurements before you begin. There's a little bit of very basic maths involved to ensure that the hat fits!

Step 1 - Cutting the Puffy Top

  • Cut a square of fabric approximately 40 cm x 40 cm (I just use a very large quilting ruler).
  • Fold the fabric in half, and then in half again, so that you now have a folded square (20 x 20 cm).

  • Make sure that your folded edges are at the left hand side and at the bottom.
  • Grab a dinnerplate, and place it on top of the fabric, and trace an arc onto the square, or just cut around the plate using your rotary cutter (you could also use scissors).

  • Open out the fabric and you should have a fairly neat squarish circle (don't worry too much about perfection as it will be all gathered anyway).

Note: the smaller the original cut square of fabric, the smaller the puffy top will be. If you would like a really large and puffy chefs hat, just make the fabric square larger.


Step 2 - Cutting the Headband
  • If possible, measure the head circumference of your intended victim recipient - my nephew is approximately 54 cm.
  • If you're making this for a child, then it's best to add a couple of centimetres and the make the hat a little larger so that it will fit for longer (we're going to make the closure adjustable for different sizes later on).
  • Cut two strips of fabric 8 cm wide x head size in length - I'm cutting mine 8 cm wide x 56 cm in length.
  • Cut two strips of interfacing in the exact same size, and iron them onto the back of the headband strips.

Step 3 - Cutting the Binding

  • I'm using a piece of straight cut binding for this project, so it's just a basic straight cut strip of fabric which I've turned into binding using my trusty Clover 25mm Bias Tape Maker.
  • The width of the strip will be determined by the bias tape maker - I've cut my strip approximately 2.5 cm wide.
  • The length is determined by the headband measurement plus an additional 30 cm.
  • Therefore the strip of fabric will be 86 cm long x 2.5 cm wide.
  • Run the strip through the bias tape maker - check this fab tutorial if you're not sure.
  • Once I've done this, I then fold my strip in half again and iron it (turn the steam off beforehand or you'll burn your fingies).

Step 4 - The fun part (Construction)
  • Place your two headband pieces wrong sides together (the interfacing on the inside).
  • Sew around the four sides very close to the edges (the edges will be hidden later).
I've used pink thread for the purposes of this tutorial but I would actually use matching thread.

  • Place your sewing machine on the longest stitch selection and sew a simple stitch line right around the circle, taking care to leave long threads at the ends (do not backstitch / backtack at beginning or end).
  • Pull the bottom thread slowly and carefully (to ensure that it doesn't break) from either side to begin gathering the puffy top.
  • Keep gathering until the gathered bottom circumference of the puffy top is the same length as your headband strips (in my case 56 cm).
  • Tie off your threads so that the gathering cannot undo, and so that the size cannot be changed.
  • Place your headband piece and the puffy top right sides together, and either sew or overlock the entire way around the hat.
  • I find it easier to use clips rather than pins as the gathered puffy top and the interfaced headband are quite thick.
  • Turn right sides out, and topstitch around the top of the headband (as you're topstitching, fold the overlocked or stitched seam from the inside, down towards the bottom of the hat, so that the topstitching is going through lots of layers and providing extra stability and support).




Step 5 - The binding

Now that the hat has been constructed, the binding will finish everything nice and neatly.
  • Turn the hat to the back where the ends of the headband meet up.
  • Using sharp scissors, make a slit up into the puffy top approximately 5 cm (this will help to form the adjustable closure).
  • Start stitching the binding at the bottom corner edge of the headband (you can start with a raw binding edge as this will be covered later)
  • Machine stitch the binding all the way around the bottom edge.
  • When you get the corner, you will need to swivel 90 degrees and fold your binding and then continue stitching up along the edge of the headband, and onto the puffy top where you previously made a slit with the scissors.
  • When you reach the top of the slit, swivel and turn and keep stitching the binding back down until you are approximately 5 cm from the end.
  • At this point, you'll need to trim your binding to the correct length.
  • Before trimming, ensure that you leave enough length to fold inside and under, so that you are not left with a raw binding edge.

Step 6 - The closure

When it comes to the closure, you could use buttons, velcro, or even ribbon, but I like to use snaps (probably just because I get to play with the hammer).
  • Follow the directions that come with your snaps - I use a Snapsetter.
  • I place the snaps at various intervals to allow for different head sizes.



For an alternative closure idea, check out this fabulous Chefs Hat by Lara from Thornberry.


Step 7 - Go forth and Cook or Bake to your hearts delight!

50 comments:

Sandra @ Pepperberry & Co. said...

Thank you so much for a wonderful and very detailed tutorial! I can't wait to try this out when I get home. Thanks for all the hard work from your end!

Unknown said...

Oh cute! I can just imagine my little boys with chef's hats and aprons and wooden spoons! I use the Snap Source tools too!

Unknown said...

Tutorials should always have this many photos! It's fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to share this :) I'm tempted to try making one just because of your easy to follow instructions!!

Swirlyarts said...

Fabulous tutorial! You should send it to Whip up and Craft :)

Cathie said...

Thanks again Cam, Amelie absolutely adores her hat as you have seen, you are fantastic! Thank you :)

DeeDee said...

Wow..how adorable are these...thanks so much for sharing how to do these...my little chefs will love them...cute fabrics you have used too..how fun...

Tammy said...

What a great Tut! My kids love their chefs hats! TFS.

Tania said...

How sweet are you, Ms Pops?! Thank you for the perfect pressie notion.

thornberry said...

Perfect timing Cam! Am making an apron for a 3rd birthday party on Saturday and wanted to make one of these to match, but didn't have the time to figure out how - now you've done all that hard work for me! Thanks so much.

Michelle said...

You are awesome! How awesome? AWESOMEST AWESOME!!!

Michelle said...

BTW, congratulations on making the Madeit Wednesday Handmade Goodness newsletter!

Leonie Guld said...

I LLLLLOOOOVVVVEEEEE it !! Thank you x

Jennie said...

I would so wear that. I only hope Jack's into skulls & crossbones when he is of an age. That tip on the hairclips is brilliant.

Nikki said...

Great tutorial Ms Curlypops! My wee masterchef won't cook without her special Curlypops apron and hat. BTW - The opening in the back of the hat fits a ponytail perfectly!

Chasing Snails said...

How cool!

Thank you for sharing the tutorial - saved it for when I overcome my sewing machine fear.

Anonymous said...

a fabulous tutorial Cam thanks for sharing the hat is WONDERFUL!!!

Unknown said...

What a fabulous idea. Thanks for the tutorial.

Taccolina said...

Smashin' crashin' bashing fantastically easy to follow.
-And very cool.

Liesl said...

Its a fantatsic tutorial - really well written and easy to understand. Argy and Bargy will be getting these for sure!

I did have a laugh when I say the skull and cross bone fabric!!

Skebba said...

This is such a unique tutorial and über cute to boot!
Going straight to the tumblr poolroom! :D

Anne said...

What. A. Cute. Hat!!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:

http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-kid-sized-chefs-hat/2009/08/26/

--Anne

Sasparilla Sue said...

That is the cutest thing i've seen in a long time! Thanks for the tut...I have just the right little chef to make one for.

Margaret said...

What a great tutorial! Tori has just started to help us to cook, and so I have to make her an apron ... making the hat will be a bonus!

saffiertje said...

well done job!!!
love these heads

Sarah said...

Yay! Pirate chefs!

Anna Bartlett said...

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I can see some Christmas gifts coming on! And I've got so much pirate fabric already and one particular boy who's so keen in the kitchen...

Providence Handmade said...

This is fantastic - my 4 year old has been asking for a chef's hat for a week now - what perfect timing! Thanks so much for all your hard work. :)

Noelia said...

Im studying to be a Chef so now i will have more hats! hahaha

JustJess said...

Great job! You really are such a clever clogs! I must read this carefully and see if Master 7 and I can make some as pressies for Xmas. Thanks for again re-igniting the creative spark in our house! xx

Vone said...

Great idea - came from Craftzine.
I was thinking of having a baking party for my little girls birthday. These would be great.

Kylie said...

These are great! Surely they're not as easy as you make them look? I can just imagine my four year old in one. He's a great little cook, can even crack eggs like a pro... I'm sure he'd love it.

Lenetta said...

Very cute! Have to admit, I'm a bit intimidated by the details, but by the time my little one is ready for her own cooking show, I should be more confident. :>) Linked to this on my weekly link roundup - post is here. Thanks!

Marita said...

As a long time lurker, thanks for the wonderful tute. The hat turned out a treat, and the directions were so easy to follow. cheers, Marita

hollyc said...

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial! These will make the coolest Christmas gifts for my friends and family this year! I finished my first one in under 3 hours. super easy!

midge said...

s really awesome tutorial. thank you so much, i love it. i know a few small people who will be getting one of these in their presents on the 25th

debra lynn said...

Made this hat for my son for halloween. Perfect tutorial, easy to follow and so cute! Thanks so much. I have them on my flikr page (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24999564@N03/)

Amber said...

This is just too cute! My 5 year old daughter loves to help me bake. She will just love to have a baker's hat. TFS!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cam, Just a quick note to say thank you! This is a great tutorial - I made one today for "kids clothing challenge" and had lots of fun! I certainly will be making more for presents! Michele xx
I have put a link happydacks - I don't want to just assume this is cool but, assume it is?

Anonymous said...

Wow gr8 detailed explanation , thankyou so much for this curlypops .. i will surely make it for my kids and get back to you.. gr8 work.

Unknown said...

hola. Estaba en un aprieto, tenía que hacer tres gorros y no tenía idea pero dije que para mañana lo tenían. Gracias el paso a paso me ayudó muchisimo. cordialmente

Anonymous said...

Would you be able to give me an approximate measurement of the puffy top once it is sewn together? [circumference and height?]

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent way to create a chef hat, I'm chef in an important Hotel I think I'll implement this style with all chefs there, thanks.

Jennifer said...

Wow great tutorial, I have mentioned it on my new blog
eatcraftsow.blogspot.com

Alla's Historical Bed and Breakfast said...

Thank you SO MUCH for the best tutorial! I already made my hat, and it looks very nice! I have bed and Breakfast, so I need one to cook:)!
www.allasbandb.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, i'm ida from malaysia. Thank you very much for the very clear tutorial. I already made one and i love it very much. I blog it here: http://dfebri.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/a-hat-for-a-little-chef-wannabe/

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this great tutorial. Made the hat for my son. Greetings from Sigrid, Denmark

Anonymous said...

Thanks
It is really helpfull.Was looking fro a good tutorial to make one for my daughter. Greatings from Rio de Janeiro

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. I am not a very experienced sewer but with your very easy instructions I have made a wonderful chef's hat for my husband for our murder mystery dinner. Thank you again.

C.Ekvall said...

Thank You! :) I really enjoyed doing this. :)

Mike said...

I'm so making this for my mom. She would look adorable with one of these chef hats on.