Monday, October 3, 2011
A New A-Line Skirt.... edited
I've had Nikki's A-Line Skirt pattern for the longest time.... buoyed by a denim find at the oppy last week, I finally took the time to sit down and make something just for me!
I couldn't believe that when I got the piece of denim home and measured it - there was enough for an entire skirt for just $1.
I always have problems making things for my lower half, as my waist measurement and my hip measurement don't differ much, and I have no bum (seriously, it's as flat as a pancake). I'm also notorious for not being able to measure myself accurately.
I didn't have enough denim to make a mistake. So, to make sure that I was going to get the fit correct, I first made calico toiles of the top section in two different sizes and tried them arounnd my waist and hip. Once I had that correct, it was all systems go!
This was my first attempt at an invisible zip. It's not perfect, but I'm blaming the thick denim ha ha....
In fact, I didn't even own an invisible zip foot before I bought one to try this out.
I really wanted to add some pockets to the skirt, and I still had a sketch of a tennis skirt that I'd drawn while watching the Australian Open over the Summer. So, I made myself a little template based on that sketch and just laid it on top of the bottom section with the pocket edges extending up into the middle seam and over into the side seam (hope that makes sense).
Now with all of this sunny weather, I just need to make a more summery version!
Edit: I neglected to mention that even though it's pinned onto Frances (as she seriously needs to add a few kilos), it fits me perfectly!