Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Good things come in threes


Good thing number one:

I had to pop down to the post office yesterday to pick up a delivery of fabric that I'd ordered as the backing for the t-shirt quilt.  For some unknown reason, it was sent to me as registered post, which meant that I had to take in ID and sign for it.

When I arrived, the line up was already out the door. I counted seventeen people in the queue ahead of me (council rates were due today). I stood for five minutes tweeting on my phone, until luckily one of the employees called people forward who were just there to pick up parcels.... hallelujah!

Good thing number two:

There's an op shop just around the corner from the post office, and I hadn't been in for a couple of weeks, so I thought I'd pop in for a visit.

I found a cute little basket, and a skirt. The skirt had a purple price tag, and when I arrived at the front counter, it was half price day for purple tags!


Good thing number three:

I scooped up my goodies and got back into the car which was parked right outside the oppy, when another car pulled into the park directly in front of me.

While I was sitting there, a man and a lady got out and started unloading things from their car.

I spied some sparkly arkly bits under the mans arm, and as they came closer, I realised that he had two small chandelier style light fittings..... and they were the exact same type of light fittings that I was looking for to install in my new dining room.

I wound down the passenger side window and said "excuse me"... no answer, so I said a bit louder "excuse me"... still no answer and getting desperate, I yelled "EXCUSE ME"!

They both turned around and came over to the car, and so I very politely asked if they were giving the chandeliers to the op shop. They replied that they were, so I asked if I could buy them instead.

They wouldn't let me buy them, but they insisted that I take them. Apparently their daughter had bought a new house with these fittings and she didn't like them so she took them down, and asked her parents to get rid of them.

It was fate, I'm quite sure of it....

14 comments:

Makeminemidcentury said...

Oh, lovely three things.

Aren't some people just wonderfully good? Imagine insisting you take those lights! I love little stories like that. "EXCUSE ME!" (How funny!)

Stacey said...

What a lucky day you had Cam. I do love those lightshades.

mel @ loved handmade said...

Fate for sure! Lucky you, those chandeliers are lovely..

Gillian R said...

Aww! See, nice people do exist!! Great pick up Cam.

Cathie said...

fabulous finds Cam!
see, registered mail must have it's positives!
those people were so lovely!!

hope you have a a great day ♥

p.s I have to tell you later about my negative people experience

Tas said...

They are beautiful! One man's trash....it was meant to be!

nicole said...

wow! they are amazing!
epic jealousy right now!
xo

Anna Bartlett said...

I'm so happy for you - a great day all round!

Unknown said...

Oh lucky you!
I love those sparkly-arkly things. You will have to show us when they are up.

Unknown said...

Jealous about the lights, but happy they've gone to a very good home! I've had a couple of good things happen to me this week and I'm just waiting for the third. Waiting.

Unknown said...

I love those lights and I'm so glad you didn't have to harm the old people to get them either !

Michelle said...

Oh CaM...just love a fate filled day...
I adore those light fittings...
They will look gorgeous at your house...
Good things have a way of finding the right people...

Jennifer Rose said...

shiny! :D those are really nice and a great day all around

michelle said...

good karma cam, what goes around....