Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Think Happy Thoughts - A Recipe for Pumpkin Bread


Last week, I popped into Leonie's on the way home, and picked a beautiful big home grown (in the backyard) pumpkin.

I'm sure everyone is quite well aware of my aversion to anything vegetable, but surprisingly, I actually LIKE pumpkin.

I made Pumpkin Risotto on Sunday night, and then lastnight I made Pumpkin Bread.

I didn't have chilli powder so I added a smoky spice blend, but I really think that it actually needs more spice. You could also delete the chilli powder and add your own blend of spices (think nutmeg, cinnamon etc).

Here's the recipe from Taste.com.au


Preparation Time

10 minutes

Cooking Time

40 minutes

Makes

1 loaf

Ingredients

  • Melted butter, to grease
  • 300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
  • 450g (1 cup) mashed
  • cooked pumpkin
  • 125ml (1/2 cup) milk
  • 60g butter, melted, cooled
  • 2 eggs, lightly whisked
  • 2 tbs pepitas (pumpkin seed kernels)

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush an 11 x 21cm (base measurement) loaf pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Sift the flour, salt and chilli powder into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.
  2. Place the pumpkin, milk, butter and egg in a jug, and use a whisk to stir until well combined. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture, and stir with a large metal spoon until just combined. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Sprinkle evenly with pepitas.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from oven. Set aside in the pan for 5 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool

Notes

  • You'll need to steam about 500g peeled, deseeded, chopped pumpkin for this recipe. This bread is great for sandwiches and as an accompaniment to a chargrilled lamb salad.

So guess what I'm having for lunch today with slatherings of butter?

11 comments:

Leonie said...

Gorgeous bread. And since pumpkin has seeds maybe it can be an honorary fruit?

Jennie said...

Oh this looks really yum.
And i don't like pumpkin!x

(i think its because of how my mother used to cook it maybe!)

teddybearswednesday said...

Oh yum! this sounds delicious and easy too. thanks Cam xo

Unknown said...

That looks lovely. I have never eaten pumpkin i buy one for Halloween to make a lantern but i always throw the flesh away never nothing what to do with it but i do know ;-)) dee x

Unknown said...

yum yum. I *love* pumpkin. But sadly it doesn't get cooked much at our place as my husband refues to eat anything that is cooked and orange (yes, he is a freak, LOL)

I think I am going to make this for me and the smalls. It looks too delicious to miss out on.

Libster said...

I made pumpkin soup today, perfect weather for it... so cold!! brrrr. your bread looks very nice

Caroline said...

This looks great Cam - I loooove pumpkin. I've got a big hunk of it in the fridge that's destined for soup this week but I'm going to definitely set this recipe aside for trying soon. Thanks!

Lyndel said...

oh we love pumpkin, maybe it is time I got some caketins? I have absolutely NOTHING in my cupboards these days that could be used for baking....mmmmmmmmmmm.. need to change that. Too cold for me to come out tonight ..

Bron said...

My very favourite go to pumpkin scone/damper recipe is form my mums CWA cookbook ....mix and plop sloppy mixture on a tray and cook...yummy.

Cate said...

Oh yes, it's getting to that time of year again isn't it!! Last year I got some great pumpkin recipes - pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin/banana muffins...mmmmm yummy!
xxxCate

Hosted Services said...

Looks yummy!