Monday, July 9, 2012
The Lisette Passport Dress
I've been itching to make the Lisette Passport Dress ever since the finish of the Continental Sew-Along.
I just so happened to take a trip to Spotty on Friday and found the Lisette Cotton Sateen on the clearance table for $5 per metre (must have been divine intervention).
The Passport is a bit more tricky, as it has a side zipper, and front and back darts and pleats.
I decided upon the Size 16 (as that's the size I should have cut for the Continental) and cut out all of my fabric Friday night.
I've never made a dress with darts before, so I must admit that I was ever so slightly confused!
Thankfully, I remembered to try the bodice and the skirt on, separately, before I attached them together, or finished any of the side seams with the overlocker.
Turns out that the size 16 was too small...
I had to reduce the side seams to 1/4 inch, and completely remove the rear bodice darts, and the rear skirt pleats to make it fit.
But, thankfully after lots of stops and starts, I actually managed to finish it.
Here's a closer look at the finished front darts and front pleats. I'm not quite sure that I finished the darts properly as per the instructions. I'd show the back darts and pleats but there aren't any!
Oh, and of course I had to add the obligatory pocket on the opposite side to the zipper!
It's freezing today but I teamed it with my Flox tights and a cardi and wore it to work (I did actually have shoes on too).
I'll definitely make this dress again, but next time, I'll re-draft the bodice to combine the 16 (at the top) and the 18 (at the bottom), with a size 18 skirt, and reduce the size of the armholes underneath the arm as they're a bit gapey.
I think I only ended up using 1.5 metres of fabric so it's not a bad investment!