Tuesday, July 24, 2012

There was an Old Lady who swallowed a Fly


One of my little op shopping jaunts last week yielded me this lovely vintage puzzle game for the grand total of 50 cents.

The illustration on the lid of the box immediately drew me in, but it was stuck down with stickytape so I couldn't check what was inside.

Why do Op Shops always do that? It always manages to damage the box.


It wasn't until I arrived home that I was very pleasantly surprised to actually find the name of the artist inside the cover of the box.


A little bit of research uncovered that Pam Adams was quite a prolific illustrator for a UK company named Childs Play which produces lots of puzzles and books.

Even more interesting was finding out that her very first book illustrations were for There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.


They're my kind of Op Shop gold for sure!

10 comments:

Miss Prudence said...

Gold indeed, don't you love being able to do a little research...What did we ever do without Dr Google?

Unknown said...

What a score! well done on your find :)

Twinsane Mum said...

I thought those illistrations looked familiar. We have that exact book at home, and we sing it all the time!

annie said...

A lovely find. That is one of our favourite stories around here as it applies to so much.

Margaret said...

Now that bought back memories. I know what you mean about the sticky tape .

anna said...

What a lovely surprise when you opened the box. The pictures may give inspiration for some of your projects.

Bron said...

Great finds.....gotta love a classic found at a bargain price in perfect condition. xx

BossyMummy said...

We had this game as kids and mum has actually just started getting it out to play with Master 2.5. Love it :)

Jennifer Rose said...

very colourful looking game :D

Kirsty @ Bowerbird Blue said...

our house is overrun with such op shop treasures, I can never resist. Love your find and the research behind it.