Monday, November 21, 2011

Only 1 week late


Better late than never hey!

I finally managed to deliver Bec's completely finished birthday pressie yesterday.... and she loved it. Phew. Although she may have been a teensy bit disappointed that it wasn't a pair of hot pants Anna.


I've been hoarding collecting ribbons and vintage trims for years and years. I have bucketloads of them, in fact.

Another lesson learned from my day at the 6 Steps Workshop.... I must start using what I have, and not living by that old mantra 'She who dies with the most fabric (and trims) wins!' .

I'm completely in love with the way this turned out, so I had a hard time handing it over yesterday.


If you would like to make something similar, it really is easy peasy.

Just cut a piece of calico to the size that you need for your cushion cover front. Without overthinking the placement of ribbons and trim, just start laying down pieces and stitching them into place, criss crossing over as you go. The more random, the better..

(apologies - blurry iPhone snap).

I made sure to change my thread colour to match each piece of trim or ribbon.

(apologies - blurry iPhone snap)

Once everything is stiched into place, neatly trim the edges (you'll notice that this project definitely required coffee).

You can then turn it into a cushion cover, or anything else your imagination can conjure up!

23 comments:

Leonie said...

Fantastic! What a great friend you are. I bet she was thrilled.

Jennifer Rose said...

oooh! lots of gorgeous colours :D

willywagtail said...

Absolutellee gorgeous. Cherrie

trudi@maudeandme said...

WOW WOW WOW!Stunning. It think probably several coffees involved in it! I am going down to my dungeon to look threw my ribbons.

Blossomnbird said...

Wow! Gorgeous...great to use up left over pieces of ribbon and trims...

Jennie said...

Loving all the different textures on this! Gorgeous!x

Junette said...

Wow! One of the prettiest things I have seen in a long time! Amazing.

Stomper Girl said...

It looks great! Labour intensive, but great. Love how you say not to overthink it!

bec said...

The amount of work in this is amazing! I would have probably used invisible thread, I'm too lazy to change cotton that many times! I'm truly lucky to have a friend like you Cam XXOO

Bron said...

Fantastic, now I know what to do with all the ribbon that my daughter is too old to have in her hair . Thanks for the inspiration.

Megan said...

Oh my god! I love it! I made a clutch bag out of ribbons many many years ago, ribbons are just the best. I can't believe you changed thread colours each time argh! What a lot of work!!!! (Totally worth it though because it turned out fantastically!)

Sheeprustler said...

It is adorable, Cam! And good for you for actually using stuff you have. I am trying to force myself to 'shop from my stash' wherever possibly lately and it has been fun.

Caroline said...

Great idea and what a fabulous result you ended with. You are lucky to have such a ribbon stash, I love the embroidered ones, but they're hard to find in the second hand stores of Bris.

Mistea said...

Sure is gorgeous - Love the bright colours and good on you for using what you had.
Lucky Bec to have a new colourful cushion to brighten her space.

small forest said...

I can understand how much she loved it. What a work of art!
buuut... I dont get it? Im looking and scroling and looking and scrolling but nope, I am baffled. How on earth did you do this?
x

p.s ive trashed the new 'clear' space

willow and moo said...

Cam, that is one totally awesome cushion! :)

Anonymous said...

I love this Cam!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Absolutely gorgeous Cam. I bet she loved it.

Anna Bartlett said...

I am 100% positive that you could use a similar method to make a pair of hotpants that Kylie Minogue would be proud of. They'd be raised to the level of notoriety of Ric Rac's Selvedge Dress. We'd all be able to say we knew you before the famous hotpants of 2011. I'm just saying.
PS Gorgeous cushion, by the way!

Cherie said...

You're such a sweetheart but you could have saved them to sell at the Trash and Treasure market :~) Great to see the Haby Goddess loved the cushion too ... you're a whizz Darling. xo

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Absolutely gorgeous. You have such an eye for colour. Bec is one lucky girl!
Now, you have to make one for you to use up more of your huge stash?

Anonymous said...

WOW Cam this is AMAZING!! it's brilliant, and changinf the thread for each ribbon is something you should get a medal for

River said...

Hi, I've dropped in via Cherie, that's a very gorgeous cushion! Did you make back and front the same or did you have a plain back?