Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Teeny Tiny Too Tight Dress Re-fashion


I picked up this gorgeous vintage dress at the oppy a few weeks ago (I can't quite remember which one as I seem to visit lots of oppies and collect lots of pretty things and lose track of where they came from).

Although it fitted me, can you see just how tight the elastic waist was gathering in the before photo?

When you can't breathe anyway, having tight elastic around the bottom of your ribcage is really really uncomfortable!

It was also ever so slightly too long for me.

It took over an hour of unpicking to open up the elastic casing and then unpick the elastic which had also been sewn into the middle seam of the dress (they certainly sewed things to last back in the day), but it was really simple to overlock it and sew it all back together again.

I now have a cute dress which I can wear in Summer (as long as it's not too hot as the fabric is quite un-natural), and over a long sleeve top and leggings in Winter. Perfect!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love it! What a great refashion - so simple but so effective!

Miss Prudence said...

you are the queen of up cycle - i dips me lid!