Monday, September 1, 2008

Somedays.....

Somedays my brain just doesn't want to work.....and I have to keep the unpicker very close by. I should know by now...place right sides facing together......


Thanks to the trusty unpicker (is there a proper name for this tool), I managed to whip up a flannel baby wrap.


There was a bit of kiddie crafting action on the weekend. My eldest nephew came over for a sleepover and wanted to do some sewing (only because I was sewing). He decided Friday night that he needed a neck pillow so he could lay on the couch and watch Collingwood. I cut him the two rectangles of fabric (so that he didn't have to use the rotary cutter). I drew a seam line on the fabric with a texta, and then let him sew the seams on the sewing machine, stuff it with polyfill, and then sew up the opening with a big dolls needles and some embroidery floss. I think he did a pretty good job.

Then on Saturday morning, the weather was miserable so decided that he wanted to make himself a pencil case. We picked out an op-shopped zipper from the stash (which I sewed on...not very well) and then I let him sew up the seams and turn it out (no drawn lines this time).

He sewed it fairly straight....there were just a few problems with the leadfoot on the pedal.

This was the finished result!

17 comments:

Sasparilla Sue said...

The sewing talent/gene must run in your family. That pencil case is pretty awesome.

Michelle said...

I think it's official name is "unpicker"!! I use mine so often that I'm thinking of puttin a hole through it and attaching to a chain around my neck.

You and your nephew make a formidable sewing team!

trash said...

Loving your boy's work.

The name that gadget is sold under (certainy used to be anyway) is'QuickUnpick'.

Kirsty said...

The Quick Unpick & I are very firm friends.

Cindy said...

I managed to sew the cuff on the boy pants at the top the other night and didn't notice until I had done the whole thing. I think you have a new sewing prodigy there though - Yeah the boys!

Jenny said...

LOL!!I thought only I did things like that!The quick uppicker is a very well used item in my house!Your nephew has great sewing potential!

Anonymous said...

The Curlypops Shop looks great and X did a great job with his pencil case, very cool with the camoflauge!!

Liesl said...

Nice work getting a boy into a bit of sewing! Great projects.

I'm with Michelle on the upicker - I really think there should be something that you can hang around your neck. My motto is "two seams forward, one seam rip back"

sewfunky said...

I agree with trashalou it's called a quickunpick! :)

I think when my crafting days turn to disaster it's often best to just put down whatever it is and have a break. My frustration level is just set too high on those days!

Jodi said...

Love that floral fabric you've used on the blanket. Gorgeous!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Your nephew did an amazing job! I love seeing boys learn to sew. Your flannel wrap looks gorgeous.

Crafty Things said...

Oh yes, I think most sewing creationists (like that description better than sewers - hate words that have exact same spelling, two pronunciations and so totally different meanings!) end up having a very close relationship with their trusty little QuickUnpick.

Love the creations from your nephew.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Yep, I also have to have my unpicker (that's what I always call it but thought it was actually called a "seam ripper") by my side, I'm often sewing things the wrong way.

Great to see that your nephew had a great time sewing!

muralimanohar said...

My seam rippers and I are best friends. That's why I have three within easy reach of my sewing machine, plus several more scattered around, and I am petrified to throw any away; what if I can't find one, at a crucial moment!? Oh, the horror!!

And seems like talent runs in the family..brilliant jobs for a first timer! :p

Nathalanes Place said...

That happens to me a lto too sewing wrong side to right side. I guess it's when we wanna go to fast. Great post by the way. Come by my blog I'm having a giveaway.

Ruth said...

That's great! I bet he loved it!

Ruth xx

Bec said...

I have days like this. Frustrating isn't it! What a great Aunty you are. Those projects are awesome!!!