Thursday, September 4, 2008

Time to go shopping (under the cover of darkness)

If you didn't read Pottymouthmama's lovely tales of dump diving last week then you really should head on over and check out the motherload.....part 1, part 2 and part 3.

Then you'll understand why it's so exciting when the local council drops these little flyers into the letterbox....although we don't have much shopping time during this collection - less than a weeks notice! It means that people will put their unwanted stuff on the naturestrip this weekend, so it will have to be a very quick covert Sunday night mission....hmmm need to go and find my night vision goggles....

There are some very exciting giveaways happening too:
Silly Gilly has a fantastic vintage pattern giveaway happening (I won the 1974 pants pattern in her last giveaway and have made about ten pairs of cool 1970's pants since), and Hoppo Bumpo is celebrating her 100th post by giving away some beautiful vintage buttons and japanese fabric.


10 comments:

Cindy said...

Oooohh Ahhhhh garbage pick-up. I have a great visual of you running round the street with your night visions on. Tee hee. Can't wait to see if you found anything on Monday.

Liesl said...

Can you believe that when our council prints these notices, that there is a big warning stating that it is an offence to take rubbish off the naturestrip?! It makes the whole operation so much more covert. No-one walks - they have to drive along, piling stuff into their cars. For the quick getaway!!!

Can't wait to see what you turn up with. Hopefully not an enema kit! :)

Unknown said...

I love these as well. We are lucky as we get a calendar each year with the dates on it from council so I can plan my scavenging months in advance!
Sadly the last one was a rained out disaster as it poured the whole week. I had to hold back the sobs as I drove past treasures that were ruined beyond repair.

Happy hunting!

muralimanohar said...

Oh, man, I LOVE big item pickup day!! When we first moved into this place, it was pickup week, and there were SO MANY AMAZING things out. But we were moving, and dh was totally over the idea of going out again (I don't drive over here...issues of being on the wrong side of the road...BAAAAD), so we missed. And it hasn't been that fantastic since! :waaaaahhhhhh:

Can't wait to see what you come up with!!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Oh, fun. I love hard rubbish. I don't know when they have it in my area. I never get cool notices like that in my mailbox.

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

I love those garbage dump days! There is something so fun about driving around at night, slowly, trying to spot a treasure, then jumping out of the car and grabbing it before anyone sees. Such a game!

Have fun!

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

I can't believe you get that awesome notice!! We have to call up our local council to book our garbage in! Wow. Well good luck, may the force be with you (and not the enema kits).

Thanks for the linky dink!

Michelle said...

Sounds like a lot of fun to be had this weekend!

Swirlyarts said...

I'm so jealous - they don't do this in the UK. Have fun at the weekend :)

mill said...

When I think of dumpster diving, I think of the people (not all are poor, mind you) who scrounge around for food to eat from the supermarket/cafe bins. I'm not sure if I'd be willing to do that, but this sort of dumpster diving looks like fun!