Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Making Mending Fun (or at least trying to)....


I don't mind mending clothes, but some days it's completely mind numbing, boring, and snoozy.

I soldier on ahead, and think about the fact that it's great to be able to mend everyday clothes. I'd rather mend than just dispose of them when tiny little things go wrong. Especially when it comes to things like expensive school uniforms!



So on the weekend, when my sister delivered a pile of things to be mended for the nephews, I decided to have a little fun.

In the pile was:

2 pairs of grey school pants - holes to patch plus hems to be taken down.
1 pair of skinny jeans - missing button
2 pairs of tracky dacks - holes in one leg of each

With the mending of the school pants for a 12 year old, I was pretty limited. I made patches from grey wool suiting to repair the holes (which worked amazingly well... couldn't even notice) and took down the hems as low as they can go. Hopefully they'll last out the rest of the cold weather this term.

The skinny jeans for the 9 year old didn't have any scope for fun either. He would  have been devastated if I did anything to them!


Which only left Moo Moo's kinder trackie dacks....

9 comments:

Lola Nova said...

Love your patches! So much better than plain.

Andi said...

Love your work Ms Pops!

Miss G said...

love the patches, too. I have noticed gaping holes in my 8 year old's jeans. I asked if he wanted them patched and he said "patches aren't very cool mum". Well I will show him your mending and he will change his mind!
x

Rie said...

Cute!
So you're a mender, Hmmmmm, my hubby has some business shirts that need fixing maybe I can put a colourful patch on them - do you think he'll appreciate it!?!

Sarah said...

You are so good to mend... I discovered very recently that my mum has been mending my sisters and her families stuff - to my dismay I have missed out on over 16 years of mending!!! I have been blundering thouh it. HA now the secret is out (evil laugh)!

Lyndel said...

great patches. I remember my gr.daughter tearing a hole in a NEW (1 DAY OLD) pair of trackies.. she said 'patches are not cool' Luckily she agreed to a patch of Iron On initials.

Naturally Carol said...

I am glad you had some fun out of that pile of mending! My brother wants me to trim down a cushion cover for his caravan to fit a piece of foam he has and ms s has a black cardi for me to mend..and I keep putting it off..you're a good example for me.

Caroline said...

Can so relate to the kinder tracksuit pants - I've been doing zig-zag stitch style darning over knee holes but they keep on ripping. Now I've seen this, next step is patching!

greenolive said...

My sister gets her pile of mending out when I visit her in Brisbane – what is it with sisters who want you to mend?