Saturday, March 29, 2008

Girls Day Out (well, morning out) - Updated

My sister and I decided to go on a little drive away from the 'burbs' thismorning and into the city. We left the Melways behind and took one of Mr CurlyPops's favourite gadgets 'Lola' (aka the Navman). We had a slight problem when Lola wouldn't give us directions becuase she kept switching herself off! It seems that I may have inadvertantly jammed her powercord in the concole of my car, so unless we held the power cord at a certain angle, she wouldn't stay switched on........in the end, we pulled over and got her to finally work!



My sister ran out of Peter Watson tomato sauce yesterday, so the first stop on the intinerary was the Peter Watson shop in South Melbourne (Update - thanks Pip - there's another store in St David St, Fitzroy) . It was only 11.00 but they had some lovely grilled fish and sliced vegies for tastings and they were offering wine too. It was a bit early to get sloshed so we passed on that and just bought our sauce. I got some lovely tomato sauce and some worcestershire sauce too.




The next stop on the intinerary was Meet Me At Mikes. We got to meet lovely Cam and to see lovely Pip in the shop! We also got to see what some ugly horrible people decided to do last night.....


On a happier note, there were so many lovely things to see. If I had a limitless budget, I would have bought one of everything. What I did buy was:


A Heart for Mirabel made by Kitty (I'm not sure which Kitty, but if you're out there let me know and I'll add your link). Update: I've been doing some searching and I'm pretty sure my heart was made by Kitty from Kitty's Kaboodle.



I managed to snap up the wonderful babushkas pencil case handmade by Mikes.....




...and I also bought this gorgeous notepad by Kristen Doran....


....and to make it even better, I picked up my fabulous soupy prize of vintage fat quarters!


This is a close-up shot of my favourite. I'm not quite sure what I'm going to make yet but I can use my cool new notebook to start making some lists and drawing some pictures.



The best thing about Mikes was being able to check out all of the cool stuff that all the crafters and bloggers make. It was great to be able to pick things up and see them in the flesh after seeing photos on all the blogs.



There was one little downside.....I'm feeling very depressed because my hearts are still hanging in the window. If anyone is reading this, can you please please please shell out $10 for charity and buy one that I made before it's all over.


It was raining when we left Mikes so we got in the car and headed down Gertrude St in search of coffee. We found a nice warm cosy coffee shop and had a cappucino and a lemon slice (it was delicious) and then headed into a secondhand bookstore called 'The Searchers' which was in Smith St. I got 6 novels for $22 which was a bargain.


The next stop on our itinerary was supposed to be the Rose St Artists Market but my dad called to let us know that he was on the way for a visit from Ballarat. So we had to pack up and head back to the 'burbs'.





In other news, Mr CurlyPops made it to Hong Kong overnight and has been sending through MMS messages. Above photo: Roadworks.........Why?.......I have no idea......

Next photo.....trying to find the train station to get to the rugby stadium.

I guess he found it!

7 comments:

JustJess said...

LOVE, love, love the Smurfs fabric! Super-cute. Lovely prize for delicious soupy goodness. I also got myself a Clover bias-maker after seeing your work - can't wait to use it!

Corrie said...

what a busy morning of shopping! don't worry I've been too scared to go to the shop and see mine in the window but I'm sure its there keeping yours company

Corrie;)

Michelle said...

Very busy! Never been to Peter Watson...must go check out. Just off Coventry St right? And fab photos of Hong Kong, more please! I love love love it there!

meetmeatmikes said...

It was lovely to see you yesterday! Look at you whipping up a Clover frenzy over here! Good Job! How cool is it that you can also buy the iron on adhesive tape to use with the bias tape makers - i've never used the tape - but it sounds cool! Glad you had a great morning! xx

meetmeatmikes said...

And..pretty sure Peter Watson has a shop off Smith Street in Collingwood - so next time you can keep it all local!

Kitty said...

Hello,
What a busy morning you had. Yes that is a heart of mine. I hope you like it.
Thanks for your lovely comments
Kitty xo

Maureen Reynolds said...

Sounds as if it was a good day out for you and your purse. ;-)