Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The plain black handbag

It's finally finished! Very plain, but that's what my mum wanted.


I had to quickly snap some shots yesterday as she was leaving with it over her shoulder.

I made a buttonhole strap again so that the length is adjustable. I also made the strap really wide so that it would be more comfortable if the bag was heavy. The buttonholes were an absolute nightmare yet again so I gave up in frustration and just used the zig zag stitch. I ran out of magnetic closures so I just used a simple black snap.

All three fabrics were remnants and the buttons were from the op-shop so the total cost of materials for the bag was probably about $3. What a bargain!

14 comments:

Drewzel said...

Golly, I feel even more honoured that mine has so many lovely buttonholes :P

Bag is fab, I especially love that lining fabric. Bet Mum was stoked!

Selina said...

Love it! You did a really good job.

JustJess said...

Glad to see from the lining that it's not completely black! I hope she likes it.

Kirsty said...

Lovely job Cam

Michelle said...

Great bag! While colour is good, a simple black bag is an absolute must!

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

LOVE your simple black bag (with pattern lining!)
Black goes with everything, so at least you know it's going to be used lots too!

Jenaveve said...

Hey, wow that looks great! I love the inside fabric too. And at $3, what a bargain. Reckon she loves it.

fi said...

it's fantastic Cam well done!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love the bag! You can't go past a black handbag - the lining finishes it off. You Mum is going to be thrilled.

Shellbells said...

bag looks lovely...am abit of a plain girl myself!!! Have just got back from Taree and found some op shop gems myself...shall post it soon...have the flu!!!

mill said...

I love the lining! Makes a simple bag not so simple!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Well done. Even though the bag is "plain black", I love the patterned lining.

faz said...

It's great!! i am so jealous - i love the simpleness of it with the lining!

Bec said...

The bag is gorgeous! The shape is fantastic, and I really love the patterned inside with the plain outside. Lovely :)