Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday Supper - Roasted Pumpkin & Rice Soup

This week I'm joining in for Sunday Supper hosted by Pip at Meet Me at Mikes!

Roasted Pumpkin and Rice Soup

1kg raw pumpkin
1 brown onion
3 cloves garlic
1 litre chicken stock
1/2 cup basmati rice
salt and pepper
olive oil

Peel and cut pumpkin, onion, and garlic. Toss in olive oil and then slow roast in the oven at about 160 degrees celsius for about 2 hours.....

Put cooked pumpkin in a large saucepan and mash.
Put cooked onion and garlic in the food processor and wizz, then add to mashed pumpkin.
Add chicken stock to saucepan and bring to a simmer.
Add basmati rice and simmer for approximately 20 minutes until rice is cooked through. Stir a few times and keep an eye on it so that the rice doesn't stick.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

If soup is too thick, just add more water.

Serve with toast and butter or some nice crusty bread....perfect for a chilly autumn night!

7 comments:

Kirsty said...

The magic words "roasted & pumpkin". I'm up for this one.

Shellbells said...

sounds good might try it myself tonight as our household is in full flu epidemic!!

xx

sewfunky said...

Ohhh! Yummy, and gluten free too! :) I am always on the lookout for that, with my youngest being so food-intolerant. I'm gonna have to put this recipe on my list of things to try!

Reenie said...

ooh yum. Think I might make this.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

We are having Pumpkin soup tonight too - I will have to try the addition of rice next time I make it! Your overlocker looks great - once you have worked out how to use it you will be wondering how you ever did without it.

faz said...

The rice in the soup looks MOST intriguing - i'll have to give it a go next time.

zoesquid said...

Yummmmmmmm.............