Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Re-Use

After our mothers day brekky on Sunday, Mr CurlyPops and my mum went to work creating these little boxes full of succulents.
These are some of the boxes that I picked up from the side of the road during the last hard rubbish collection. Mr CurlyPops gave them a clear coat of sealer, lined them with plastic, added some drainage holes and 'voila'. The succulents are all cuttings from my mums garden.



I took a little trip to Spotlight yesterday. My mum has requested that I make her a handbag, so of course I said yes because I love making handbags.......but then she said that she wanted it to be plain black! Yes, plain black! I don't do plain.....In the piles and piles of fabric that I have, there is no plain black fabric.




So I went from aisle to aisle in Spotlight searching for something in plain black with a suitable weight for a handbag......to no avail.....until searching through the remnant bins. I found a metre of fabric (not exactly sure what it is) but it has something similar to curtain blockout lining on the back (see bottom right of photo above). Then of course, there were other remnants that I just had to buy as well.....



I also bought a couple of metres of the pink spotty fabric which will be perfect for bias tape (on special for $3.99 a metre) and I found the floral fabric on the clearance table. I think it's linen and it has embroidered flowers. It was only $5.00 for 2 metres.

I'm drawing the winner of the vintage knitting book tonight so don't forget to enter if you haven't already!

11 comments:

Kirsty said...

Oooh succulents are my favourites. Excellent use of your roadside finds.

Sherrin said...

the planter boxes look great!

JustJess said...

Something I miss about Melb is a good roadside find! We don't have them here!

Shellbells said...

my hubby hates it when i scavenge from the hard garbage. I love finding treausres in others trash!!

Stacey said...

Great remnant finds! My nearest Spotlight never seems to have such good things.
Love the planters too.

Jenaveve said...

Hah - sounds like something I'd ask for (all black!). Mind you, that black with the flowers on it looks gorgeous...could you sneak some of that in on her bag? Maybe not.

Great work on housing arrangements for your succulents too.

Lark said...

Wow, I love those boxes. And great to find them on the roadside!

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

The little boxes look so lovely. I was just thinking about those boxes the other day and wondering what you had done with them because I remember when you found them. They really came up so well.

Bec said...

Those succulent boxes look fantastic. And yay for the fabric!!!

Michelle said...

Gorgeous planter boxes, what a great find! As is all that great fabric!

mill said...

Like everyone who has commented, I love the succulent boxes! To think you found them on the roadside..sigh. There is never any good stuff when I look ;)