Thursday, February 7, 2008

Babies, Babies Babies

Has anyone else noticed the baby boom that is happening at the moment? Everyone I know has either just had a baby or is pregnant. Lucky I like sewing things for babies and making handmade gifts.

This is a quilt that I made in October last year for my nephew (who was born in November). He absolutely loves it, so my sister-in-law asked me to make another for him so that she has a spare.


Even though he's only 3 months old, I thought I would make one that would last a bit longer and still suit him when he's a toddler. I started yesterday cutting out all of the equal squares. Today I sewed the squares into strips and decided that I didn't like the squares after all, so I cut all the strips in half again so that I had strips of rectangles.


Then after I laid out all the strips of rectangles, I still didn't like it so I ended up sewing the strips together unevenly on purpose. Now everything is a bit off kilter and I quite like it. It wasn't quite wide enough so I just added long strips of corduroy along both sides. The prints and the red fabric are from my stash, and the denim and corduroy are from my op-shop spree on Tuesday. Apologies for the crappy photos but it was a miserable day today so the light isn't very good. I'm hoping to finish this off tomorrow (along with the top that I started earlier in the week and never finished).


In other news, my sister (who already has 3 boys in the family) is pregnant with twins, and suprise suprise, they are both boys! She wants some bibs that are suitable for small babies so I took an existing bib (on the left), made a pattern from cardboard, and copied it. I just used a cotton print on the front, plain flannel for the back, and added a snap.


This is number one........ only about fifty more to go......

Then maybe the twins would like a quilt each............

4 comments:

Jodie said...

The quilt's looking great, can't wait to see the finished product!! Cute bibs, I love the little dump truck fabric, too cute...

Jodie

Leigh said...

This is going to be adorable! I love that fabric! Great job!!!

Jodie said...

"you make my day".... Pop by and have a look!!

Jodie

Crafty Things said...

Great way to create a new bib pattern! When my kids were little I used towelling bibs made by overlocking the edges and cutting a neckhole which was finished with ribbing. If I had time these were finished with an applique or cross stitch decoration.