Friday, December 5, 2008

Love Fridays....

Today I'm loving Friday because I finally received my tax assessment from the ATO and I have to pay them less than what I originally thought...yippee for that!

But now onto some crafty matters.

I've made some stencilled t-shirts for my little nephews for Christmas, but I also wanted to make some for my older nephews. My designs were just a little too naff for the older boys, but I spotted this book right here on Pip's Blog.


So I ordered it online and it arrived in the mailbox this week. I went to the Bonds outlet and picked up some $4 seconds t-shirts (just in case I completely ruined them)!


With my previous attempts at stencilling, I used acrylic paint mixed with fabric fixative.
This time I used fabric paint which was really quite a lot runnier and a bit more difficult to stencil with.

You can see where the paint bled underneath the stencil. I think I should try some spray adhesive on the stencil next time instead of just masking it down around the outside. I'm hoping that the spray adhesive will give a nice clean finish like the freezer paper stencils.

To give some extra definition, I've used a laundry marker (the one that comes with iron on clothes labels), to highlight some of the areas.

I hope the boys will like them!

I'm going to head over and check out Ed's blog for some more tips and tricks before the next attempt.

14 comments:

Jo (sparkly green knickers) said...

That's a great idea adding definition with a laundry marker! Fabulous work! Might make some for my nephews too.

Unknown said...

I think they look great . Teenage boys are difficult . To buy for I mean !
Clare's Craftroom

Michelle said...

love those designs...so hard to buy for boys but these are fantastic...

Unknown said...

Great idea with the laundry marker.
I have a whole roll of freezer paper sitting here waiting for me to get the courage (and time) up to try stencilling.

I think the boys will love them, especially the gorilla, he is cool.

muralimanohar said...

if you are looking for less naff designs, have you seen Stencilry? It's where ALL the hipster kids get their stencils from. They got some really cool shit, yo. :p Give them a google.

The Essess said...

Yep I like the monkey the best...They look pretty cool!

Cindy said...

These are so COOL! I love the monkey and the laundry marker gives it great definition.

Taccolina said...

Mm, I agree - love the gorilla and the handy hint on the laundry marker.

Anonymous said...

I am sure yr nephews willlive them, u have done a fab job

Jogirl said...

Hi There,

I have been visiting your blog for awhile now, I have commented sometimes and lurked at others and just wanted to let you know about my new store(s) on etsy and madeit.
I am having a giveaway on my blog to celebrate.
Please pop on over and have a look, and enter to win a fabulous prize.
www.jogirlsjourney.blogspot.com

Cheers

Jogirl

Liesl said...

What fab stencils - I realise that my days of diggers are numbered, so I think I might order the book too. That's a brilliant idea usig the laundry marker.

Lindsay said...

Those t-shirts are FABULOUS!!! Way to go!

Oh, and congrats on the tax discovery. It's always nice to receive news like that. :-)

JuliaB said...

Hmm.. that looks like something my boy would like. He's a Banksy fan. Cool t-shirt! x

Bek said...

I saw this book on Pip's blog too and have also ordered a copy. I am so very excited. I have 8 nephews ranging in age from 1 year-15 years old, so I was also lured by the potential man-appeal of the stencils.

Your t-shirts look really cool.