Sunday, November 23, 2008

Drawstring Bag Tutorial

I often have scrappy bits of bias tape hanging around and this is one of the ways that I have found to use them. Note: The bias tape I've used is not actually cut on the bias....it is all cut on the straight grain. For more information on how to make bias tape, there are great instructions here.

Warning: There are lots of photos and lots of thread colour changes involved in this tutorial.

Disclaimer: I'm an aussie but this I've used quilting rulers to make these drawstring bags so all of my measurements are in inches (sorry about that)! I will try to convert to centimetres as I go along.


Step 1:
Cut 2 pieces of fabric for the outer bag - 9.5 inches x 9.5 inches - 24.1 cm x 24.1 cm
Cut 2 pieces of fabric for the inner bag - 9.5 inches x 9.5 inches - 24.1 cm x 24.1 cm

Step 2:

Place right sides together (separately) for the inner and outer.
For the outer bag, sew along 3 sides using a 1/4 inch seam (0.6 cm)
For the inner bag, sew along 3 sides using a slightly larger seam allowance, but remember to leave a small opening at the bottom, and backstitch at the edges of the opening.


Step 3:
Outer bag - clip the bottom corners to take away the bulkiness, turn right side out and iron flat.

Step 4:
Make bias tape following the instructions for your bias tape maker.

I cut a strip 2 inches wide (5.1 cm) x 18 inches long (45.7 cm) and used my Clover 25 Bias Tape maker.

Step 5:
Turn the ends of the bias tape over and iron flat

Step 6:
Pin the bias tape onto the outer bag (1 inch from the top of the bag) - 2.5 cm from top.

Step 7:
Sew the bias tape onto the outer bag along the top edge and the bottom edge. Don't sew along the end as this is where the drawstring will thread through later.

Step 8:
Place the outer bag inside the inner bag - the right side of the outer bag will be facing the right side of the inner bag.

Step 9:
Secure the top edges together using pins or clips.

Step 10:
Check that the layers are even.

Step 11:
Topstitch along the top using a 1/4 inch seam allowance (0.6 cm)

Step 12:
Pull the outer bag through the small gap at the bottom of the inner bag

Step 13:
Stitch the gap closed at the bottom of the inner bag

Step 14:
Push the inner bag back inside the outer bag and topstitch very close to the edge.

Step 15:
It's now time to make the drawstring. You can really use anything you like for a drawstring but I'm using bias tape again.
Cut a strip 2 inches wide (5.1 cm) x 38 inches long (96.5 cm).
Make the bias tape and then fold in half (keeping the raw edges inside) and iron flat.

Step 16:
Stitch the bias tape closed along the outer edge and the ends.

Step 17:
Attach a safety pin and thread the drawstring through the open channel on the bag.
Step 18:
Just to ensure that the drawstring doesn't get tugged out acidentally, it's a good idea to stitch it in place on the opposite side to the channel opening.
Step 19:
The drawstring is now securely stitched into place



Step 20:

The finished product!

These can be made in many different sizes so just scale up the measurements to suit the size that you need.



25 comments:

Liesl said...

This is a fantastic tutorial - its really well written and the pictures are great. Thanks for sharing!

I love the prints and the bias bing on your example too. Charming!

Liesl said...

Hmmm - not sure what a bias bing is? Whatever it is, it sounds like it might be quite noisy.

I do, however, like your bias binding!!

Michelle said...

You're a lovely, lovely person for writing this tutorial! Thank you so much. I think the drawstring on the outside looks so nice!

Crafty Things said...

Thanks for sharing your tutorial. Those bias tape makers look great.

Gillian R said...

Great tute Ms CurlyPops!! Very clear and thorough. I have that same three bears fabric and just can't bring myself to cut it, it's soooo cute!

Good on you for sharing your crafty hints. :)

Cass said...

Great another use for my bias binding obsession.

Jenny said...

Very clearly presented and useful tutorial-thanks for sharing:)

Anonymous said...

thanks for this....am looking to make an art bag and library bag so this will be good

muralimanohar said...

Well, I'm an American, and I've never, in all my years sewing on both sides of the Pacific, had a problem with inches and centimeters...I just buy the measuring tape or ruler with one on each side, and just use the corresponding one to the pattern I am using! I've never gotten confused that way. :p

Nice, clear tut, btw! :D

Anonymous said...

oh what a fabulous tutorial! Thank you Cam. I am inspired to try and get a few made before xmas!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!! In the last couple of days I've been looking for just such a tutorial! You must have read my mind. Thank you ;)

Taccolina said...

Thanks for the instructions: so clear that I might not even mess it up (just kidding, but this is a very clear lesson you've written us).

Anonymous said...

great tutorial, and I've just upgraded to a clover bias tape maker, so good to see what it should look like.

Fasedoira said...

great tutorial! And lovely fabric...

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

A great tutorial! Thank you! I've been thinking of making up a batch of bags like this for this years Christmas wrapping, and now I have the tutorial to do so! Thank you!

Elizabeth said...

thank you, thank you, thank you. i've always wondered how to line a bag nicely - now i know! i will use this - for sure. you did a great job with your pictures and everything is very clear. thanks!

Swirlyarts said...

This is perfect timing!! I am making some bean bags this week for a little girls birthday at the weekend and this will make the perfect addition to it :) And a handy place to store them too!!

Cindy said...

I had thought to use the just folded binding to hold the strap - great tip - thanks

Lexi:: PottyMouthMama said...

Fantastic tutorial. I have been thinking of making some drawstring bags for toys - but not known how to. Thanks for this, it's so clear and I think I'll be able to follow it. (And I love all the photos because I am a very visual person!).

Rachael said...

Great tutorial 'Pops. Even I can follow it...(you see I may be able to sew bit I am TERRIBLE at following patterns or directions).

edward and lilly said...

Great tutorial, I love that you use so many images, it's so much easier to look at images rather than read instructions. Well done!

Drewzel said...

Go you good thing!!

Sherrin said...

Greate tute, Cam!

Kylie Bowers said...

Oh wow amazing, Thank-you I think I might give these a go :)

Kate said...

Great tute Cam! Thanks heaps. I've made heaps of drawstring bags over the years but this is by far the cutest. X