Thursday, November 6, 2008

Shorts.....or longs?

Now that the weather is getting warmer, I thought I should try to graduate from making kids pants, and attempt to make some shorts instead, using the mens Rip Curl shirt that I found at the oppy last week.

Nice overlocked seams.......as you can probably tell, I made these on Tuesday (before I broke my bloody overlocker)!

Anyhow, somewhere amongst the 100th time I've had to clean up the craft supplies for a house inspection, I've managed to lose the pattern that I bought for shorts. But never fear, I decided to make my own instead. Using the vintage size 2 pants pattern, I sized it down to what I thought should be size 1, and then made the legs at the length that I thought would be perfect for shorts.


In theory, this method should have worked. They looked like shorts when I laid them on the outdoor table to take a photo.

It was then time to take them over to Nico's house for a test fitting........

So, are they shorts or longs?



19 comments:

Cindy said...

Ahhh, this is the beauty of the elastic pant, it can be all of them as they grow they can go from pant to capri to shorts. Perfect for growing little sprouts.

Lindsay said...

Oh, those are so cute!!! I wish we were getting warmer weather over here. But when you get warmer, we get colder. Bah! :-)

Drewzel said...

They're boardies!
look great!

Liesl said...

I love them - how cute do they look on him? You did agreat job with the pattern. Don't worry .... I think almost every single pair of shorts that have come into this house have started out as longs/capris!

Jo (sparkly green knickers) said...

They're perfect! I bought some shorts for Ollie 2 years ago that were long like that (he got lots of comments about too-short pants), but he's still wearing them now!

muralimanohar said...

Lol...I used the same pattern for ds from age 2 to age 5....they started out over knee length, but by the end, they were turning into stubbies. :p

Cass said...

They look great. It's amazing how short they need to be for that age because they look so short already

Gillian R said...

They are great. They'll last for so long, and he'll love them. Good work!

gemma @ loz and dinny said...

board shorts for a mini malibu rider - gorgeous! Man you are one busy lizzy!

Lisa said...

All the shorts I am making for my little boy are coming out this length.. we just say they are board shorts and he's just a trendy 1 year old!

Crafty Things said...

They just become long shorts. Trendy as anything!!

On the other hand you could just call them short longs.

Selina said...

I always make mine long and kids seem to get more wear out of them especially with elastic, I say long shorts!

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

Oh I like them just the way they are! Very nicely overlocked!!

Car said...

We'd call them short-longs back in the day :)

He'll grow and soon they will be knickerbockers or capris :)

Kirsty said...

Yep - I'm with Steph. Boardies for sure.

Elizabeth said...

either way, they're cute!

Libby said...

Very cute, good job!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Short, or long - they are super cute!

Bellgirl said...

Yay! I'm deliberately making the Bug's shorts as 'longs' so that he can get two years' wear out of them. These look super-cute, especially on that gorgeous model!