Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A new banana recipe - UPDATED


I found myself a new recipe on a blog a couple of weeks ago. I printed the recipe but didn't include the blog and now I can't find it anywhere. Even Google refuses to tell me where I found it!

The recipe was for banana bread..... it intrigued me because of the unusual secret ingredient - Golden Syrup.

I finally had the chance to test it out, and it's a goodie for sure. It's really quite light in texture which is unlike a traditional banana cake or banana bread. It's not overly sweet but you can taste the golden syrup.

Ingredients:
130g butter (soft)
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2-3 mashed bananas (2 large ones suffice)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup golden syrup

Method:
Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla until light and creamy.
Add eggs and mix well.
Add mashed banana then flour, baking powder, and golden syrup.
Pour into lined loaf tin.
Bake at 160 degrees celsius for 60 minutes.
Cool in tin for a few minutes before turning out.

If you know of the original blog, please let me know so that I can come back and add a link.
Now I'm off to have a piece drizzled with some maple syrup for dessert.....

Thanks to Cass, the mystery has been solved!
I found this recipe right here on Corrie's blog....and I should have used Maple Syrup in the mixture but I used Golden Syrup....whoops, but it was still delicious.

12 comments:

mill said...

That sounds delicious! I have tried a banana bread recipe which is good, but I want to try this one..curious about the maple syrup

Taccolina said...

Banana bread is my FAVOURITE. Yum, yum. I might have to try this recipe, though I've been faithful all these years to my Mom's 1970's wheat-germ laden recipe. Mmm.

Have you ever tried mixing maple syrup into yogourt? Good on cake and just plain bananas, too. Makes it into breakfast, 'cause it's all healthy-like.

Swirlyarts said...

I can never get banana bread to work so I will be trying out this recipe as I have some over ripe bananas. I've been searching for a decent recipe for ages so if it works then you will get a big thank you :)

Liesl said...

Oooh providence .... I just bought some more golden syrup today (to make gingerbread). I'm clearly meant to make this banana bread!

How yummy having it with maple syrup. I'm with Taccolina ... the good old syrup of the maple, clearly has health-giving properties.

JuliaB said...

Yummy! that looks and sounds deeelish! I'm a sucker for golden syrup and maple syrup!

Georgie Love said...

Oh that sounds DELICIOUS, thanks for sharing it! I actually tried out a new banana bread recipe yesterday, one with sour cream - it was only so-so, so would definitely be keen to try a new one. You can't fail with the golden syrup too - YUM!

Cass said...

That looks exactly like one Corrie had on her blog recently but hers used maple syrup instead of golden syrup. It tasted great and was very light too

Unknown said...

I tried this one off Corries blog too and I used golden syrup just like you did! I only had the nasty maple flavoured topping in the cupboard so I thought golden syrup was a better bet. Plus mister three tell me golden syrup is made with sunshine, who could resist adding some sunshine to a cake!

Daisy May said...

the women's weekly caramel banana cake is to die for = uses brown sugar and sour cream always a request from many! Now my daughter makes it. yum.

JEWEL said...

I cannot wait to try this. I have found few recipes that I can use Golden Syrup in. I love it simply on soda bread. If you have any more recipes that include Golden Syrup - please let me know! Again, thank you for posting.

Christy Amular said...

I love banana bread! Can't wait to try your recipe!

Cate Lawrence said...

ooh definitely going to try this, I love banana bread!