Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunday Supper - Chicken Fried Rice


I'm joining in for Sunday Supper hosted by Pip at Meet Me at Mikes........ this was our late dinner last Sunday night.

This is another one of those recipes that has been made up from leftovers and whatever else I can find in the fridge. In this case, I had half of a roast chicken left in the fridge that needed to be used (waste not, want not)!

Apologies to anyone looking for a proper asian style fried rice recipe....this is definitely not it!

It's best if you cook the steamed rice the day before. I just cooked it in the morning and left it in the fridge all day. To make the steamed rice, I used 1 cup of long grain rice with three cups of water in my microwave steamer and cooked it for twenty minutes on high.

Ingredients:

Cooked rice
1 teaspoon garlic
1 brown onion - chopped
4 mushrooms - chopped
10 snow peas - chopped
1 zucchini - chopped
6 rashers bacon - chopped
Roast chicken - chopped
2 eggs - beaten until just mixed

This can all be cooked in one large frypan or wok.

  • Saute garlic, onion and bacon (with a little olive oil and butter) together and then remove from pan

  • Add beaten eggs to pan and scramble into little eggy bits (yes, that is my technical term) and then remove from pan

  • Add mushroom, snow peas, and zucchini to pan, saute and then remove from pan.

  • Add the cold rice and chicken and stir fry until heated through, then add back all of the other pre-cooked ingredients until all of the flavours have combined and all ingredients are piping hot.

Serve and eat....this should be enough to serve four.



4 comments:

JustJess said...

YUM! I really want to eat this now for my lunch...

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Looks delicious! Stir fry's are always a good way to use up all those left over ingredients at the end of a week.

Liesl said...

This looks really yummy. I like dishes that use up the vegies at the bottom of the fridge. Usually its soup ... as that way no-one can detect how limp the vegetables were to start with!

Jenaveve said...

I'm with them (up there) this sounds soooo good. I could make this low GI by using basmati rice (sorry, can't help myself!!)