Monday, July 21, 2008

Sunday in the City

Steph and I met up for a girls day out yesterday and our first stop was the Melbourne Design Market.......

I took some photo's of Victoria's lovely stand.....

....and I decided that this beautiful 'I heart' necklace is what I would like for an anniversary present (hint hint Mr CurlyPops if you're reading this).

It was lovely to meet Victoria and Angela, and to see Pip......and then to also meet Bianca and Lara around the other side of the market.

I bought myself some lovely crafty things.....

  • Top left: Wrist strap by Lara (for my car keys)
  • Top Right: Sweet little notepad by Bianca
  • Bottom Left: Fabric covered brooch by tu wit tu woo
  • Bottom Right: Screenprinted linen tea towel by Quince (to make a bag...too pretty for dishes)

We did about three laps of the market in order to see everything amongst the bustling crowds.....then I had the bright idea to go and check out Kimono House and Buttonmania because I'd never been to either shop. On the way, we just happened to spot Clegs so we made a pit stop. After spending quite a bit of time looking at just about everything in the shop, and of course, making a few little purchases, we were on our way again.

We made it to the Nicholas Building to find that the lifts weren't operating so I managed to drag myself and my trolley up the first flight of stairs only to find that both shops don't open Sundays! We checked out another couple of cute little shops while we there anyway.

By that time, Mr CurlyPops had finished watching his footy team lose, so he met up with us and we made our way to Brunswick St for some yummy wood fired pizza....it was the perfect ending to a lovely day!

Then today it was back to reality and the endodontist for my root canal which is why I'm typing this and drinking my cup of tea through a bendy straw.......



20 comments:

Kirsty said...

What a gorgeous day you had!

Rachael said...

What lovely things you found along the way. Gotta love Melbourne for the shopping (I am from Sydney, but tell anyone that I have a huge soft spot for Melbourne). Really like that tea-towel and if we get this house, I think I will track one down. Not for dishes - just for looking at.

Liesl said...

Ooowww - root canal work. Hope your mouth is feeling better soon and that its not soup through a straw for dinner!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Sounds like a top day yesterday - lovely goodeis - especially love the tea towel! Hope your mouth settles down quickly...

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

Oh, I can't believe I missed out on so much fun and great shopping.

Jodie said...

I went to the design market as well - it was mad !!! Lots of great stuff and plenty of hints for Mr Ric Rac as well. LOL

Selina said...

The market sounds fantastic! Glad you had such a good time to make up for the coffee through a straw today!

Mc Cranky! said...

that sounds like a really lovely sunday in Melbourne. the things you brought look really lovely too. i hope you recover soon and are back to drinking tea the normal way again.

Mc Cranky! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacinta said...

Sounds like a busy and productive day - you will have to return to Buttonmania and the Kimono House as they are definitely worth a look. The lifts (when they are working are an adventure in themselves!
Thanks for the photos of the Designers market as I didn't get there this time.
Next time hopefully...

Bird Bath said...

oh that sounds like the perfect day...lucky you! don't envy the root canal business though...I'm still upset about mine from three years ago :(
Hope you're on the mend soon.

Cass said...

Sounds like a great day but sorry I have to say "Go the Swans"

Tizzalicious said...

I love everything you bought!

Beth said...

Sounds like an awesome day! How much fun was the market?? Except it was a wee bit squeezy! I went with my mum and we did laps of the market, and then went to clegs afterwards and we too had pizza for dinner! (Gosh, we're practically twins ;-D)

Good luck with your toothies.. doesn't sound like fun at all. Hope it's a quick recovery.

Beth said...

Oh, by the way, if you're like the stuff at Kimono House, then I'd strongly recommend a trip to ZiguZagu, right near East Richmond station. http://www.ziguzagu.net/

Drewzel said...

Yay us!

Sandi said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic day out exploring the Design market and finding those treasures! I wish we had markets like that up this way.
Hope your tooth is feeling much better now.(no more straws)
Cheers
Sandi

Michelle said...

What a lovely day you had! I can't believe I missed the Design market...hope the tooth is all better!!

Nikki said...

I'm not surprised I didn't see you and Steph at the Designers market... I lost my partner and child in about 2 seconds flat in that crowd... and had a wincy bit of trouble finding them again. The stalls I could SEE were absolutely wonderful - glad you were able to get up close and shoppable with them.

Jenaveve said...

Hey, what an awesome day out!! I am so in love with Victoria Mason's stuff and definitely with your screenprinted linen tea towel (Quince)... that really speaks to me! Might need to suss them out a bit more.

I remember Clegs from when I was a little-un and my Grandma would take me in there when she was a seamstress. Great memories, I was so in awe of that shop!

Hope the tooth's going well. Also hope the Design Market's on again one day cos I missed this one.