Thursday, July 17, 2008

Kitchen Curtain

I finally managed to finish the curtain for the sliding door that leads from the kitchen to the deck.
I had a bit of a love / hate relationship going on while I was making it......

I made the top patterned section first from some fabric that I found in the remnant bin at Spotlight and sewed curtain tape along the top edge. Apparently it was the wrong type of curtain tape so when I pulled the curtain back, it actually fell off the curtain rod!

So back to Spotlight for a different type of curtain tape......

Then I hung the top section again and figured out how long the bottom section needed to be for the curtain to just touch the floor. I cut up the bottom section, sewed it all together, hemmed the bottom, and hung it up again to find that it was about 4 inches too long! I know I shouldn't be using inches (I live in Australia and we use metric measurements) but I was using a quilting ruler at the time! Maybe that was the cause of my problems all along.....

So I took it down again and shortened it.....and then re-hung it.....and thank goodness, the sun was shining and it fit!
It looks pretty good when it's bunched up........ just don't look too closely once it's pulled closed.....


The great thing is that it's made a noticeable difference to the warmth of the kitchen at night and we haven't had to turn the heater up as high (I really should have done this years ago)......

6 comments:

Jenaveve said...

Hey, these are fantastic! I love the contrast and it even 'looks' warm! Good thinking 99, I like the idea of being able to turn the heater down a notch without feeling it.

I have a lot of blog reading to do - can't wait to see what else you've been up to.

Drewzel said...

Go you! go you!

Belinda said...

What a lovely job you have done Cam, I do love the fabric combo you chose! Good work!

Melanie Gray Augustin said...

Well done! The idea of sewing curtains scares me.

Unknown said...

Great project! Must have taken a while, but well worth it I see :)

Sasparilla Sue said...

I love them! I really like the top fabric! You did a great job.